Ch 0.5 Surviving Death - Zombie AU Part 2

“Okay, move it that way!” Asami ordered. Riko and Korra sighed in exasperation and pushed the bus a few more inches over before promptly passing out. Asami sighed. ‘They’re so dramatic.’ They had found this bus abandoned down the road, but it only had enough gas to just arrive short of its destination. ‘This will have to do I guess.’ Riko and Korra gasped for air on the ground. Kohaku returned with some more supplies. “Thanks dear, do you think you can find more?” The boy nodded and ran off again.

Riko finally got up and stepped back from the partial barricade. She had to hand it to her, Asami was extremely smart. They planned to use the bus as an entrance by using the front door to connect to the outside world and the emergency back door to connect to the town. It was genius, but it meant she and Korra were doing all of the manual labor. There were still other cars and pieces to put together to make it secure. And this was only the first wall. They still needed to build up on the other side of town.

Riko blanched with realization. This was too much work for the four of them. She looked to Asami, who appeared to have come to the same conclusion. She hauled Korra off of the ground and dragged her back to the house. “I need to rethink this through.”

Asami wiped her forehead. Her first plan was too big. They’d never finish it by themselves. Even though it was a small town, there were many openings for walkers to get through. She looked at the road their house was on. It was a single, straight road. They could fortify that for starters and branch out with more time. Their main goal should be this road.

Riko watched intriguingly as Asami used chalk to map out the town and her new plans. It was different to be with such a smart person for once who knew what she was doing. Korra sat down beside Riko with a can of peaches and together they watched the pale woman formulate new plans.

“I like this idea a lot better.” Riko commented. Korra smiled in agreement as Asami showed them what to do next.

“Well this will be easier, especially since Kohaku and I can actually help with this.” Asami replied. She held some sticks in her arms and motioned to the pile of branches behind her. “For the time being, we’re just going to focus on this stretch of road. Kohaku’s gathered up enough branches for us to make our own defensive traps. I’ve seen it done before and it can work.” She then showed them the steps to make the pointed fences to stop walkers in their steps. It took Asami a few times before the duo got it down, but once they did, oh man, they went crazy with it. Before even darkness had fallen, the two had the whole road covered in pointed fence traps.

Asami wandered back to the road to see how they were doing and was in complete shock. “Wow guys, uh, that’s incredible. You finished before nighttime.” Asami commented. She went over and poked one of the traps. Sure enough, it stayed upright. “I’m impressed.”

“We didn’t get to the other side of the road, though.” Korra pouted.

Asami chuckled. “Korra, I didn’t think you’d finished this side of the road today. We can work on the other side together tomorrow. But it’s getting dark, so let’s head inside.”