Ch 0.20 Victim or Survivor? Part 2 - Law/Order AU

Korra steeled her grip on her gun as marching could be heard up the steps.

"Riko! Sweetie, we have to leave!" The yell was cut off as the father barged into the bedroom.

Korra stood opposite of him with her gun raised. "Derek Walker, you're under arrest."

The man chuckled in reply. "Oh no. You don't have me yet." He then pulled out a switchblade from his pocket.

Korra shifted her weight. "Derek, if you come at me, I won't have any choice but to shoot you. And I'd rather not kill a father in front of his daughter."

"Heh, you won't kill me."

Korra took a step back and looked past Derek. The man noticed the glance and turned around in time to steady himself as Mako tackled him. The two fell to the floor, wrestling over the knife.

The blade fell from Derek's hand and Korra kicked it under the bed. The two men continued to fight. Derek suddenly pushed Mako up and punched him in the face. Derek rushed to his feet and reached out for his daughter. However, Korra tackled him into the wall before he could even touch the girl. "Don't you dare touch her!"

"I didn't do anything! You've got no proof!" Derek started screaming with his face shoved into the wall. Mako regained his balance and helped handcuff the man. Police sirens started approaching the street and sudden footsteps dashed up the stairs. Kuvira and Bolin skidded into the room to find Mako telling Derek his rights and Korra was comforting the child.

Bolin sighed in relief while Kuvira scoffed. "You two always get the arrest."

Korra picked up the girl, still wrapped up in her jacket. "I'm gonna ride with her to the hospital."

Kuvira nodded and let her through. "I'm gonna let Mako and Bolin handle this guy then."

Korra paused before continuing down the stairs. "That's fine."

~ warning for distress caused by abuse~

November 3rd, 2015

9:44pm

New York Memorial Hospital

Riko's emotional distress during the examination only confirmed Korra's worst fear. The doctor told her officially for the record. Riko was raped and abused by her own father. The police officer had to step out of the room for a few minutes to calm down her rattled nerves. They had found the body of a woman just that morning, and by nightfall the husband was arrested and the daughter was in the hospital. It's not often a case gets solved so quickly, but things weren't over yet.

Korra knocked on the door to let the young child know she was coming in. The girl sniffled as she glanced up. She quickly wiped away her tears and sat up straight. "You're the one who saved me."

The officer smiled gently. "Yes, my name's Korra, remember? I'm a detective. I need to ask you some questions."

Riko pulled the blanket closer to her. "Okay..."

Korra nodded and sat down in the chair. "Alright, when's the last time you saw your mother?"

New tears appeared in the kid's eyes. "A week ago... She's dead, isn't she?"

Korra tensed up as she listened to the girl breakdown again. "I'm sorry, dear. She has passed on."

Riko suddenly lurched forward, trying to hide her tears. "Daddy did it! I always heard them fighting and then one day last week it just stopped and daddy kept me locked up! He wouldn't let me leave the house even go to school!"