Chapter 6

Korra stood in front of the mirror nervously. Today was the day. She was wearing a blue tuxedo and was trying to tie on the bowtie. A knock came on the door. Lin walked in and helped her with her bowtie problem.

“Are you ready?”

“Heh, I’m nervous as hell, Lin.”

“I know, but don’t be. Everything will be perfect. I just checked on Asami.” Korra looked at her expectantly. “You know I can’t say anything, Korra. That would ruin the wedding tradition.”

Korra groaned and they finally tied the bowtie correctly.

“C’mon. We need you to start the ceremony.” Lin dragged her out of Tenzin’s house on Air Temple Island.

Korra walked onto the makeshift stage. Everyone was already in their seats. Tenzin and Pema sat in the front row. Their kids sat behind them excitedly. Pema would occasionally turn around to scold them. Korra’s parents, Senna and Tonraq, sat beside Tenzin. Katara was there, too. Mako and Bolin sat in the row next to them. Bolin waved excitedly, but Mako smacked his hand down, making Korra laugh. Lin walked up and sat beside them. She smiled reassuringly at Korra. A bunch of other random guests and family continued to find their seats, all dressed for the occasion.

Korra’s heart raced as the piano finally started playing. She stared down the aisle. Naga appeared with Riko on her back. Riko was wearing a similar tux, as she refused to wear a dress. She and Pabu started throwing blue flower petals around them. And then the heiress appeared, making Korra stop breathing.

She wore the perfect white dress that accentuated her curves. Diamonds littered the dress, which went to drag on behind her. Her hair was curled more and it bounced as she walked down the aisle.

Korra blushed as her fiancée approached the stage. Her eyes were wide. She breathed out her loved one’s name and Asami smiled at her. Naga led Riko and Pabu to the side of the stage.

The priest started the ceremony. Then came the vows. Korra gripped Asami’s hands lovingly.

“Asami, I wake up every day with a smile on my face. Everything is a treasure because of you. Every breath I take is meant for you. I live this life surrounded by joy.” At this point she glanced at Riko, who smiled. “And I bathe in your love. My soul belongs to you. One by one, you found the pieces and put them back together again. I will never feel lonely again. My life has so much meaning now, all because of you. I promise to be there for you through thick and thin, rich or poor, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life. Asami Sato, I love you. My love for you exceeds the limits of this world. I would be honored if you were to become my wife.”

Asami was crying, but luckily her makeup was waterproof. She gripped Korra’s hand tight. “Damnit Korra, now I’m crying.” Asami whispered. The crowd chuckled.

Asami sighed before saying her part. “Korra, because of you, my world is whole again. Love lives in my soul once more. You are my pillar, my stone of strength. My love for you is pure, boundless through time and space. It grows stronger every day, knowing that you’ll always be mine. You buried my shame in the depth of the sea and cast my fears to the bed of the ocean. You carried my hopes to the end of the earth, and enriched my life with love. As far as the east is from the west, you removed past guilt from my mind.” Asami sighed. “Avatar Korra, I love you with all of my heart. I love you to the moon and back. I promise, through the good and the bad, for better or worse, until death do us apart. And I too would be honored if you were to be my wife.”