Ch 0.28 Aching Wonder*

(Trigger warning for depression & suicidal tendencies.)

Asami could immediately tell something was different the moment she laid eyes on Korra. It wasn't just her outward appearance but also her inner personality. As they met eyes, the CEO could see a new calmness to her 'friend'. However, she didn't have much time to ponder on it with Kuvira's army on the rise.

The first time she knew something drastic had changed during the Avatar's disappearance was on the day of Hiroshi's funeral. The few people who had showed up slowly left one-by-one. Even Mako and Bolin left their friend to grieve. Asami, too caught up in her own emotions, had thought everyone had left. She carelessly flopped onto the ground and pulled her knees to her chin as she cried at her father's grave. Her hiccup turned into a gasp as someone hugged her and pulled her into their lap. She could barely make out the tan complexion and choppy hair of her 'friend' through her own wavy hair that framed her face. She grasped onto Korra's shirt and hid her face in the Avatar's neck.

All the while, Korra carefully comforted her by tightening her hold. She pressed her cheek to the top of Asami's head and slowly rubbed her back. She didn't say a word. There were no words in the world that would comfort her right now and she knew that. So instead she kept Asami in her arms as long as she needed.

As Asami's tears slowly ebbed away, she glanced up at her friend. She blinked through her tears in surprise when she saw a lone tear slip down Korra's cheek. Maybe it was just the rain that had started falling that made it look like that. Asami reached up to pull Korra into a much needed hug, which the Avatar equally returned.

The next time she realized that Korra had changed was when they were chasing after a thug who stole Asami's purse as they left one of Raiko's meetings. Korra immediately took off after him. Asami, struggling to run in her heels, only caught up to them once the thief locked himself in an abandoned building. Asami was about to pull her hairpin out of her hair to unlock the door. However, Korra beat her to it and swiftly produced a nail file from a hidden pocket and picked the lock open in record time. Asami stood astonished for a few seconds, but then realized that Korra was gone again. She found them in the basement, where Korra was holding the thief up by his collar and holding a rock in the air.

Why would she pick earth to bend? Wouldn't fire be a better choice to intimidate?

Korra emptily stared at the frightened thief before dropping him on his butt and recovering the stolen purse. Asami blinked in surprise as Korra calmly handed her belongings back. That's when she knew more had happened than what Korra told. First off, earth was not Korra's primary element. Secondly, she just released a criminal. The old Korra would have never done that. Third, when had she learned to pick locks???

But Asami didn't voice her questions and they quietly returned home together.

Over the span of their evolving relationship, Asami noticed some peculiar things about Korra. Korra was a much more rational person and just calm altogether compared to when they first met. She took things in stride and didn't anger quite as quick as before. Some nights, Korra would retreat to bed early. Sometimes, Korra would come stomping inside from the courtyard where she trained when back pain spurred. One thing that confused Asami to no end was how Korra would freeze up randomly and stare out into space.

They were walking through the second floor towards the stairs to go downstairs. Asami was talking about complications at work when Korra froze. The pale woman noticed her disappearance from her side and looked back for her. Korra was intently gazing over the banister that overlooked to first floor foyer. Asami warily walked to her side and rested her hand on Korra's hand squeezing the wooden bar.