Chapter 18

Riko watched as Karina taught Nami a few new waterbending techniques after breakfast. The Sun shone brightly, warming Riko’s skin. She smiled as the heat spread through her arms. It felt good after being in the South for so long. Spritz of water sprayed on her as the duo sparred. She sighed and wiped it off of her. She felt someone approach from behind her and turned around to look. She smiled as her brother came up and sat down beside her.

“They were late today weren’t they?” He asked.

Riko laughed. “Yeah, how’d you know?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Their snoring was super loud this morning. And then I heard them screaming and heard you running away from their room.”

She chuckled nervously and scratched her cheek. “Yeahhhh, it was one of those kind of mornings.”

“I figured.” He laughed.

They watched their sister fight with Karina for a few minutes. The native was very good at waterbending, maybe as good as Korra. Riko’s face started to heat up, attracted by the show. Kohaku glanced over and laughed. “C’mon, let’s go spar to get your mind off of things.”

Riko pouted, but walked to the other side of the arena with him. They got into their stances and Kohaku sent a small flare at her. She dodged easily and shot a rock at her brother. They tossed their elements back and forth for a few minutes. They didn’t even notice the two other girls stop to watch them. Riko sent a ripple of earth crashing into her brother. He stumbled, but a smile held onto his face. He did a backwards tumble and shot a stream of fire at her. She slid to the side to dodge it. She was about to strike back, but paused when Kohaku just stood there mockingly.

“What?” She asked.

“I think it’s time you had that talk with the Chief.” He stated, causing her to blink. “You were smiling the entire time during our match.”

Riko then realized that she had been smiling the whole time, and suddenly started to feel better. Karina came up and wrapped her arms around her neck. “I think it’s cute.” She said. Riko blushed and scowled as she kissed her on the cheek. Nami and Kohaku gagged.

The next day, Riko dragged Karina with her to the police station. She showed the foreigner things on the streets as they walk by. They stepped into the police station and something just felt off to Riko. The officers weren’t running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The air seemed calm, but there’s always a calm before the storm.

She held a confused look on her face, but walked into Lin’s office nonetheless. Or at least, she thought she had. In the chair sat Mako, scribbling on paper after paper. He looked up when he heard and “eep!” come from the doorway. “Riko?”

“Mako?! What’re you doing here?!”

The man scratched his chin, unprepared for this conversation. “Um, Lin wasn’t feeling well today. She called off. I’m covering for her at the moment.”