Chapter 13

Riko managed to crawl out of bed to get about three days of training in before their next match. They were to play the Wolfbats. She knew they had very little, if any, chance of winning, especially since she was injured, but she refused to let her brother and sister know that and pushed them harder in their training.

They were getting ready for their match when Korra and Asami walked in.

“What’re you doing here?” Riko asked, surprised.

“Shut up and sit.” Korra demanded. Riko wasted no time and immediately took a seat on the bench. She gulped. She sat in only her pants and chest bindings. The siblings were used to changing around one another so it was really no big deal. Korra sauntered over and squatted in front of her.

“You’re gonna need some extra protection if you still plan on fighting.”

“What the hell are you talk-” Riko then saw the extra padding they had brought in with them.

“Arms up.” Korra was sure being demanding tonight. Riko listened regardless. Korra was just concerned about her health. She wrapped the padding around her stomach and tied it together.

“I’ll help you get your uniform on. It might be a little snug.” Korra said.

Riko’s arms were still up as her mother tugged on her jersey on overtop. She winced at the tightness squeezing her lungs together.

Korra tied her ribbon around her waist and handed over her gloves. Riko pouted at her. “Stop giving me that face. The tightness on the padding will help protect your sides. Don’t complain. Just go out there and win this!”

Riko smiled and walked over to her awaiting siblings. They waved at their moms before walking out into the arena.

“Should we really have let them go through with this?” Asami asked, hugging her wife from behind.

“They’ll be okay. And I have a feeling after tonight they’ll quit pro-bending soon. They have little chance of beating the Wolfbats, as much as I want to believe in them.”

“We have a big match tonight, folks! Tonight’s match hosts the Southern Stallions,” The audience cheered for them as they walked into the arena. “Versus the White Falls Wolfbats!”

“Your reign ends tonight.” Tahno spoke down to Riko. Even though he gained some dignity after losing his bending temporarily, he still was a cocky jerk.

“Heh, I think it’s your reign that’s ending.” Riko replied, glaring up at him.

Their teammates pulled both of their captains back and they got into position to start the match. Riko continued to glare at the man as he smirked at her. He shot a string of water at her, which she dodged. She responded with earth disks, which he dodged as well by jumping away. She saw his earthbender out of the corner of her eye and blocked a disk from him. In the meantime, Nami blocked a fire blast headed in Riko’s direction. She thanked her sister and glared at the opposing team. It was clear they knew of her injury and were trying to gang up on her.