Chapter 27

Karina found Riko asleep on the couch. The girl had fallen asleep reading a book, so naturally it was laying on her face now. Karina sighed, knowing that she was probably drooling all over it. She inched up to her, intending to wake her up, but that’s when she noticed the scowl on Riko’s face as she lifted the book from her face. She should’ve known even when sleep managed to catch her, it would only lead to nightmares. Before Karina could react, Riko suddenly shot up in fright. She saw the terrified expression on her face and tried to calm her. However, instead of indulging in her girlfriend’s comforting arms, Riko marched over to the bookcase and randomly picked up a book and attempted to read it. Karina could tell she wasn’t coherently reading, just trying to clear her head.

Riko jumped when she felt a hand land on her shoulder. She turned and saw her girlfriend. “H-Have you been here the whole time?”

“I saw enough to know that this is becoming a serious problem.” Karina answered solemnly. Riko scuffed and turned back to the book in her hand. Karina sighed and gently grabbed her hand. “Riko, sweetie, please just take a break from this. You’re driving yourself crazy.”

“I have to figure out what my dreams mean. I know there’s some meaning to it.” Riko replied, hanging her head.

Karina waited a moment before speaking again. “You haven’t slept for days. I know you don’t particularly enjoy it, but your body needs sleep for a reason. You’re going to burn out.”

The room went silent for a minute. Riko looked like she was actually contemplating Karina’s idea. “What do you propose I do instead?” Riko regrettably asked.

Karina smiled and pulled her out of Asami’s library. Riko rose a brow as they entered the kitchen. “Um, are we cooking?”

“No,” Karina laughed. “Just shut up and grab the bread.”

Riko pouted but did as told. She then saw all of her girlfriend’s gathered materials and realized what she had planned. She quietly laughed and helped her make sandwiches. Karina smiled and put other snacks into a basket.

When they were finally ready, Riko shoved her hands in her pockets, but Karina grabbed them in a hurry. She smiled brightly at Riko, making her brighten up as well. She led them out to the backyard and sat in the middle of the courtyard. Riko smiled slightly as Karina passed her a sandwich and began talking about her day. Riko contently ate her sandwich as her girlfriend talked.

Suddenly Karina paused. Riko looked up just in time for the waterbender to take her finger across the edge of her mouth, making her recoil slightly. Karina giggled. “You had some jelly on the corner of your mouth. It was just too cute to pass up.”

Riko didn’t reply. Instead they just stared at each other. All of a sudden, Karina pounced on Riko. Laughing, they wrapped their arms around each other. Ever so slowly, Karina connected her lips to hers. When they pulled away for air, the space around them went cold. Riko felt her girlfriend go cold as well and jumped when she saw what was happening.

White light was emanating from Karina’s eyes. “K-Karina? No! Wake up!”