Ch 0.14 Spread Thin - Werewolf AU Part 3

Riko scowled at the morning sun. Her younger brother squirmed in his seat beside her. Being up this early should be a crime. But here she was, driving them to school. She pulled up to the elementary school where dozens of other 7 and 8-year-olds were rushing inside the building. "Don't forget to pick me up after school this time!" Kohaku yelled as he jumped out of her truck.

"I do it every day, you brat! I won't forget." She replied before driving to the high school a few blocks down. She pulled into the parking lot and drudged inside. The town was small and there were probably only 40 other high school students who drove.

Riko was a loner in school. She isolated herself in fear of revealing her true self. She sat at her desk in her first class and prepared to take notes for the day, just like any other day. Even though her family didn't expect a lot out of her, Asami always got excited to see good report cards.

Once class got started, Riko casually glanced over to a few seats up. There sat another girl wearing ripped up blue jeans and red shirt with a gray plaid jacket thrown over top of it. Her hair was thrown back into a lazy ponytail and she wore little makeup. She was fervently taking notes when suddenly she paused. Riko had gotten too caught up in her to notice. The girl carefully glanced back at her. They had a short stare-off before the jock next to the girl playfully nudged her forward. She blushed and faced forward again.

Finally realizing what happened, Riko's hand slipped from holding her head up and her forehead hit the desk. She growled to herself and heard the jock laugh at her. For some reason even though she wasn't a girly girl, plenty of guys tried to flirt with the other girl on a regular basis. Her name was Karina, and Riko had dug her grave by having a crush on her.

Riko quickly raised her head and rushed to catch up on the notes on board before they were erased. When the bell rang, she quickly ran out of the class to avoid her classmates. People only seemed to make fun of her for being a loner.

As her last class finally ended, she sat a little longer to avoid the after-school traffic. After a few minutes, she proceeded to walk outside to her truck. Kohaku should be waiting for her by now. Just as she crossed the lot, someone hollered over to her in panic. She looked up and saw a flying football headed her way. She hastily dodged at the last moment and then picked it up. She walked over to the fence that surrounded the football field and saw the team practicing. One guy began walking over to her to retrieve the ball.

"Just throw it."

Riko looked over to the bleachers and saw Karina sitting there with a few other girls. It took her a moment to realize it was Karina who was telling her to throw it. She questionably looked to the boy, who had stopped to see if she would actually throw it. She contemplated it for a minute, looking back to Karina. The girl simply smiled at her. Riko sighed and threw the ball back towards the field. She immediately regretted it as it soared over the boy's head and towards a smaller group of jocks. It hit one player in the back and he instantly turned around to find the culprit. Riko gulped. It was the boy from her first class. He finally spotted her and marched over.

Riko wanted to go into wolf-form and just run home. School was becoming a daily nightmare she just wanted to escape from. But then she felt a hand on her shoulder. Karina stepped in front of her as the jock reached them. Riko blinked in surprise and then blushed at the close proximity.