Chapter 25

Riko growled menacingly at the firebender. The dark room was lit slightly by the flame in his hand.

“Oh, you’re back again. Are you finally ready?” He asked, bored.

Her growling worsened and she could feel her lips curl back. She knew what was happening, but it was something she’d been repressing since she was taken in by her mothers. However, being in the dream world, it was worsened by tenfold. Her nails elongated and her baring teeth grew in size. Pain rippled through her muscular arms.

She huddled over Karina’s limp body. In comparison to the warmth emanating from Riko, Karina had a cold air about her, which was unusual.

She looked up at her torturer, and for once it seemed that he was startled. The firebender was shocked to see sharp, dilated pupils.Perhaps her dreams were beginning to take her side.

Riko carefully stepped over Karina to approach the man. Panic grew in him and he rapidly produced fireballs. Riko smirked uncharacteristically evil-like and dodged his attacks. She tackled him into the ground and they wrestled for dominance. Suddenly he managed to get his leg up and kicked her in the stomach, forcing her away. She landed on her back and gripped her abdomen in pain. Just as she was getting up, he lunged at her, but she rolled away in time. Back up on their feet, they began a bending match. He threw fire at her in rapid succession, but she either dodged or fired earth back in return. At some point, Riko got close enough that she could punch him. She then grabbed him by the throat and lifted him off of the ground. That devilish smirk of hers deepened and she squeezed harder. He scratched at her hands, but it was futile. That is, until a cold aura suddenly washed over them. Riko went wide-eyed and dropped the firebender, who hurriedly scurried off into the shadows. She looked back, gasped, and fell to the floor. “K-Karina!? W-What!?”

Karina was hovering in the air, hair flowing about wildly, white light emanating from her eyes. Raava’s symbol glowed out from her upper half.

Tears burned the edges of her eyes and she crawled closer to the girl. She didn’t know how or what was even happening, but somehow Karina looked as if she was the Avatar, which, of course, was impossible.

The force of the aura kept Riko at bay, but that didn’t stop her from trying to reach out for her.

A voice echoed in her ear. Slowly, as she got closer to Karina, the voice grew louder. Just as she touched Karina’s hand, the voice suddenly bellowed loudly. “Riko!”

The earthbender finally opened her eyes. Karina stood over her a little too closely and held her arms down in case she jumped up. Riko was back in the real world. She gasped heavily for air and sweat inched down her back.

“You’re awake.” Karina sighed in thankfulness.

“W-what…?” Riko asked, breathless.

Karina felt her forehead and cursed. “Damn, you’re burning up. Stay put.”

Riko sat clueless while Karina ran to their bathroom to fetch a wet cloth. She hugged herself and only then did she realize how hot her body was. She felt like she was on fire. She was thankful when her girlfriend returned and began rubbing her face with the cold cloth, so thankful in fact that she pressed her face harder into it. Karina gently rubbed her head with her other hand.