Ch 0.10 What Is Love*

Korra sighed happily as she finally crawled into bed after a long day of council meetings. Asami leaned over sleepily and helped her out of her shirt. Korra smiled tiredly and met lips with the CEO over her shoulder. Asami effortlessly pulled the Avatar on top of her.

Korra hesitantly pulled away and rested her forehead on the other. “I didn’t think you’d still be awake.”

“I always try to wait for you, hun.”

“And I’m stubborn.” Korra chuckled to herself and softly kissed her again.

Asami smiled and laid both of her hands on Korra’s cheeks as she deepened the kiss. Korra thought nothing of it and continued kissing her girlfriend. Slowly Asami’s hands wandered down from her face to her bare torso and lingered below her chest bindings. Korra tensed up and cautiously wrapped her fingers around one of Asami’s wrists.

“S-Sami. I-I…” Korra gasped for air.

Asami removed her hands and placed them on Korra’s biceps. “Korra, it’s okay if you’re not ready for this, but I do think we’re ready to take the next step together.”

Korra’s eyes wavered and she looked away. Asami sighed sadly. She knew of Korra’s anxiety. Hell, it had taken weeks before Korra even sat next to her in bed. The battle of Republic City was over two years ago, meaning they had been (steadily) dating for two years now.  

Asami sighed and began to roll back over onto her side, but Korra stopped her. She blinked and gasped when Korra decided to kiss her again. She abruptly pulled away with another gasp. “K-Korra, sweetie, are you sure?”

Korra gulped and grabbed her hand. “You always seem to know when we’re ready to take the next step. I trust you. So yeah, we can try. I-I’ve just never done anything like this before.”

“I know, hun. I haven’t either. We’ll figure it out together, okay?”

Korra smiled hesitantly and nodded. Asami smiled back at her and proceeded to take off her nightgown. Korra’s breath got caught in her throat and she shakily inhaled to calm herself. Asami felt her tense up again and gently rubbed her arms to soothe her. They stayed seated like this for a few minutes for Korra to calm down.

Secretly, Asami loved that she was allowed to see Korra’s other side, the side that is caring and deeply loving, that is humble, that shows her insecurities, that makes her human. And it’s all saved for Asami.

Asami was brought out of her thoughts when she felt Korra’s forehead connect with hers. She felt something drip onto her cheek and went wide-eyed. “Korra, what’s wrong?! We can slow down.”

Korra humorlessly laughed and shook her head. “No, it’s not that. I just don’t know what I did to deserve you. I don’t feel like I do deserve your love.”

Asami scowled and grabbed her chin. She expected to see anxiety in Korra’s eyes, but she only saw sincerity. Asami frowned and lessened her grip. “Do you honestly think that?”