Chapter 16

“Adoptive mother, right?”

Asami chuckled lightly as they trekked through the snow. “Yeah, her real parents died when she was young, leaving her stranded in the Fire Nation for years.” She looked over and saw the curious look on the girl’s face. “You didn’t know that?”

“Well, no. She only ever told me that she was adopted by a nice couple when she was young. She’s here to visit their family, well, I guess your family. And she has adoptive siblings. I don’t understand why she didn’t want me to meet you.”

Asami sighed. “It’s hard to tell what she wants nowadays. Hopefully you’ll understand.”

Karina’s eyes widened as they approached a large house. “Umm, is that the house you’re staying at?”

Asami nodded. The girl gaped for a minute before coming to the conclusion. “T-That’s Chief Tonraq’s house. W-Why are you…?”

Asami smirked.

“You’re telling me that you’re related to the Chief?!”

Asami chuckled. “You’re getting warm.” The girl shook her head in wonder. “Okay, think about who else is related to him.”

“Ummm…… Wait… T-The Avatar is his daughter.” Karina remembered. Asami motioned for her to continue. “I… I don’t understand. I’m sorry.”

Asami smiled. “The Avatar is Riko’s mother, too.”

Again, Karina gaped. “Wait, so… You…and the Avatar…are Riko’s parents? You’re who took her in?! …… Wait, I remember now. Y-y-you’re Asami Sato, right?! The Future Industry’s CEO married the Avatar a few years ago!”

Asami laughed and ruffled her hair. “There ya go, you pieced it together.”

Karina stuttered a bit before forming a complete sentence. “I still don’t understand why she didn’t want me to meet you.”

They stopped just outside of the house. Asami was biting the inside of her lip in nervousness. “She wanted you to like her for who she is, not for who she’s related to.” Asami pulled aside the curtain to enter. “And she’s probably not gonna be happy with what I’ve done.”

Riko tiredly pulled the blankets closer to her. Sleep had been evading her lately, but now she was happily asleep, if only for a few hours. She was woken when someone knocked on the door and heard whispering outside.

Asami gripped the Karina’s arm. “She’s in pretty bad shape, so try not to be too surprised when you see her.”

The door creaked open, and the earthbender remained motionless in bed with her back to the door. Her hair was disheveled and the blanket was pulled tightly to her chin. Asami hesitated to enter the room. “R-Riko?” The girl squirmed around a bit, groaning. “Were you asleep?” Asami asked in surprise.