Chapter 30 - Epilogue Part 2: A New Era

Riko quickly jumped into the shower to clean up after a long day of work. She had stayed up all night in the office to catch up on paperwork. Karina was still asleep in bed and she hoped to surprise her by preparing breakfast. She stealthily hopped out of the shower and rushed to throw on a pair of sweatpants, even though she was still sopping wet. She hung the towel over her shoulders and raced to the kitchen. The water is just beginning to boil when Riko sensed that Karina was waking up. Memories from years ago began replaying in her mind.

Riko rushed up the stairs that led to her apartment. As she reached her door, she heard childish giggling from inside. She sighed in relief and opened the door. She blinked in confusion once she got inside, though. The apartment went silent and no one was in sight. She peered around the living room. She heard giggling in one of the other rooms, followed by a ‘shh’ sound, and grinned. She didn’t activate her sensing ability, deciding to play along. Her boots rapped against the floorboard as she cautiously made her way through. She passed the kitchen and walked into Olivia’s room. “Hmm, I thought for sure Korra would’ve been back by now with Olivia. I wonder where they are…” Riko goaded.

A giggle erupted from the closet and she heard some shuffling from inside. She inched closer, reaching for the handle. The door burst open and out dove the Avatar, tackling her. “Gah, mom?!”

Riko fell to the floor, being double-teamed on by Korra and Olivia. The duo eagerly laughed. “Well, it looks like we took down the Chief-of-Police, huh Olivia-dear?”

The young earthbender giggled and high-fived her grandmother. Riko finally managed to get up and swooped up the girl in her arms. “Well that was some trick, Korra.” Riko said, smiling.

Korra smiled back more. “It’s my responsibility to brighten up the lives of both of my badgermoles, right?”

When she walked out, Karina was greeted by the sight of Riko’s scarred back and graying hair. She paused, thinking about how much the earthbender had been through in her life. But then she realized what her wife was doing and smiled. She had a feeling the Chief was doing this on purpose seeing as her sweatpants came considerably low on her waist and she hadn’t bother drying off.

Riko smirked in victory when Karina finally wrapped her arms around her shoulders. “You should do this more often.” Karina purred.

“What?” Riko laughed.

“This topless cooking thing you got going on. It’s pretty effective so far.” Karina hummed, laying her lips on the others.

“Even if I’m a lousy cook?” Riko chuckled out.

“It’s the thought that counts, right?” Karina mumbled before pressing her lips back into hers. Riko smirked, knowing what her wife was thinking, and lifted her off of the ground. Karina wrapped her legs around her waist, giggling in the process. Riko smiled and kissed her, setting her against the counter. Things were about to get really heated when suddenly a knock came on their door. They didn’t notice the frantic knocking until the boiling water began screaming.

“Gah, shit! Oh man, now I have to start over.” Riko groaned.

Karina laughed as she slid through Riko’s grasp. “It’s the thought that counts remember? Now go get dressed! Someone’s here!”

Riko finally heard the panicked knocking and rushed back into the bedroom to find clothes more suitable for guests. She emerged just in time to see their full-grown daughter standing in the doorway looking quite panicked.

“Mom, we have a serious problem! Tadashi is doing things that aren’t supposed to happen! You said you didn’t even know if we’d have another one! But he’s doing those things! I can’t handle this! I don’t know what to do! He can’t be-”

Karina swiftly grabbed ahold of her daughter by the shoulders. “Sweetie, calm down! What in the world are you talking about?”

Riko watched from a few feet away. Her heartrate began to accelerate, a nagging feeling biting the back of her mind. That’s when she saw her small grandson hiding behind his mother’s leg. He had short brown hair and green eyes. The young boy had just started school and he was abnormally shy. Luckily when he started earthbending, the Chief took it upon herself to help teach him alongside his mother.

Olivia took a shaky breath and then pulled her son out from hiding. “Tadashi dear, you need to show your grandmothers what you showed me, okay?”

The older couple watched and waited. Tadashi stood nervously in the middle of their living room, thinking about how to show them. He looked around for something to use so he wouldn’t destroy their property. For such a young kid, he was pretty smart.

He noticed that his grandma the Chief was still wet from rushing out of the shower. He smiled as he got into a stance. It threw Riko off, because the kid was an earthbender, but that’s not what he did.

Tadashi produced a small gust of air, somewhat drying off the Chief. Riko and Karina stood frozen on the spot in amazement. Their earthbending grandson just airbended. There was no possible way! Tadashi was…

Riko smiled wider than ever. Everything made sense now. Those dreams from her teenage years that she had long since forgotten about made perfect sense. Her and Karina’s lineage would bring in the next…

“He’s the Avatar!” Riko yelled, bringing the boy into her arms. She spun him around the room a couple of times, laughing happily with her grandson. All of a sudden she stopped and the two just stared into each other’s eyes. Riko hugged the boy tight, resting his head onto her shoulder. Running her fingers through his short hair, tears began clouding her vision. “Korra…”

Karina smiled sadly and carefully took their grandson. Riko quickly wiped the tears away. “Sorry… Olivia, this is great news!”

“Don’t get me wrong, I am happy! But you guys said that there wasn’t going to be another Avatar!” Olivia responded.

Riko went deep into thought. She started smiling as she began explaining. “Yeah, Korra did technically end the last Avatar cycle. I guess that means that Tadashi starts the new Avatar cycle.”

Karina looked at her wide-eyed. “You mean…”

Riko’s smile turned into a happy laugh. “Tadashi’s the new first Avatar!”

This story is about a child who lost her parents to firebenders, only to be saved from certain death by the two most powerful women in the world later. A child who protected her new siblings at whatever the cost. A girl who suffered loss over and over again, but was kept rooted to the ground by her new family. An earthbender who eventually found love even while in the darkest hour. A Sato who battled through the ranks to become Chief-of-Police. A woman who would bring in the next Avatar.

This is the story about a young jungle girl who grew up to be one of the most influential people of her time.