Ch 0.34 Dread

TW: depression, intrusive thoughts...

Karina noticed the subtle change in Riko instantly, but she didn't comment on it. She just hoped Riko knew what she was doing and would talk with her if she felt like it. It started with a few late nights at work.

Riko groggily walked herself through the front door of their apartment. Karina peaked out from the kitchen and smiled.

"Hi, sweetie. How was work?"

Riko groaned in response and flopped onto the couch.

"I'm guessing it was rough." Karina commented.

"At least I'm not a pencil-pusher anymore." Riko replied with a hand over her eyes. "The warming weather always brings out more crime, but it'll ease up."

Karina set two plates on the coffee table and sat down next to her lover. Riko jumped up. "You didn't have to bring dinner out here. I would've got up to the table."

Karina pat her shoulder to ease her tension. "It's fine, dear. Just enjoy it and then we'll go to bed together."

Riko smiled and quietly picked up the utensils to eat. Something irked Karina in the back of her mind. There was something shifting in Riko. She could tell by the forced smile on her face, but she didn't push it and chopped it up to a rough day. 

Riko eased herself out of bed, glancing back at her wife. Karina had her own bizarre working schedule as a nurse, but Riko was still the first one awake most days. She tiptoed to the bathroom to get ready and was out the door before Karina even woke up.

The morning started well. She was getting reports done when thoughts started coming in her head, thoughts she thought she had left in the past. A sense of dread filled her and she rubbed her forehead. She couldn't be thinking like this, not when an emergency could come at any moment. She shook away the thoughts just in time as a call came through the radio. She jumped up with other officers and rushed to the emergency.

They arrived at the scene of a robbery and saw the bandits making their escape as the police pulled up.

"Stop!" Riko yelled as they ran into an alley.

She had no choice but to follow them and several officers followed her. As they emerged on the other end, a waterbender was waiting for them and sent a wave of water, attempting to knock them off of their feet. Riko quickly earthbended a pedestal for her to stand on and a few others copied her. She looked up and saw the waterbender running away.

"C'mon, we have to follow them!" Riko ordered. They hurried to catch up with the robbers before they got away and saw the last of them jumping into a car.

"Oh no you're not!" Riko yelled, earthbending a wall in front of the car right as the engine revved. They ended up smashing the front end into the wall. Riko smirked.

The team of robbers jumped out of the car, leaving the bags of cash in the car. They were going to fight.

Riko was fighting the waterbender and the two were evenly-matched. They both shot their element at each other, hoping to knock down the other. As the opposing water-whip soared past her, thoughts reemerged in her mind. Riko eyes went wide and she took a quick breath.

What if you let it hit you?

Riko gulped and dodged again. She couldn't crumble at a time like this. They continued fighting, but the one thought bothered Riko the entire time. It rung in her ears like a shadow whispering it over and over again.