Ch 0.9 Nightmares*

Asami felt Korra twist and turn late one night. She urged herself to sit up and hold the Avatar closer to her. She knew Korra was still mentally damaged from her fight with Zaheer so many years ago, but her nightmares had been flaring up much more often as of late. The past few nights Asami was able to calm the girl without waking her up by rubbing her head as she laid with her. However, tonight didn’t seem like that.

Asami felt Korra tense up dangerously in her arms. She sighed, knowing Korra was likely reliving old memories. Her worry grew when she heard Korra groan in pain. She gently grabbed her sweating body. “Korra, sweetie wake up. It’s just a dream.” Korra couldn’t hear her, though.

Korra looked back and forth between her enemies. All four of them surrounded her in the dungeon. She tried moving but found herself chained to the wall.

“I’m so glad you all could join us in watching the destruction of the Avatar.” Zaheer stated, then glared at her. Korra eagerly returned the gesture.

Kuvira stepped up. “Are you sure this will work?”

Zaheer laughed. “Of course it will work. We just have to time it right so she can’t use the Avatar state against us.”

“Let’s get started then.” Amon said. Unalaq agreed and brought up the bowl of poison.

At this point Korra was already panicking. She saw Kuvira get in place to administer the poison.

“No, don’t do this Kuvira! Why are you working with them?!” Korra pleaded but it was like Kuvira hadn’t heard any of it.

Korra gasped when the first bits of poison pierced her skin. She willed herself not to go into the Avatar state, but she could feel herself falling in and out of consciousness.

“Korra!” A distant voice called out for her, but it was enough for her to recognize.

“Asami?” Korra immediately fought back the draining effects. Was Asami in danger? What was she doing here? Korra pulled on the chains again, but found her strength fading fast. No, if Asami was in danger then she was going to protect her!

Her eyes flickered for a brief second and she yanked the first chain out of the wall. “Get her before she’s out!” Zaheer demanded. But Korra turned it off as quickly as it had happened and the incoming elements froze before hitting here. She gasped for air as she eyed the icicle that almost sliced into her a few feet away.

Suddenly there was a loud electric shock and the ice fell to the ground. She tiredly looked up and saw blue electric knocking out Amon and Unalaq. She met the piercing green eyes of her girlfriend. “No, Asami get out of here.” She pleaded, but her voice was losing power too.

Zaheer and Kuvira turned to attack her. Korra’s eyes flickered again as they fought. Kuvira turned when she felt the pressure in the air rising but it was too late. Korra swung the chain and threw Zaheer into the cave wall. Kuvira tried bending to poison in her body, causing Korra to freeze. Kuvira smirked while Korra glared at her with white eyes. She made a move to kill the Avatar, but then another electric shock rattled the room and knocked Kuvira out.

Asami appeared and caught Korra as she fell. “Korra! I’ve got you. You’re okay.” But Korra couldn’t hear her. “Korra please wake up!”

“Korra, please wake up!” Asami pleaded. Just then Korra jumped up and huddled against the headboard. Asami saw the look of fear on her face and quickly comforted her. “Korra, it’s okay. I’m right here. I’ve got you.”

Korra’s temperature had spiked and she was now gasping for breath. Asami hurried to fill a bowl with water and return with a cloth to wash her sweating face. Korra grimaced at the touch at first but then soon found relief in it. Asami worried rubbed her cheek.

Tears fell from Korra’s eyes and she suddenly hugged Asami tight. Asami blinked at first but then returned the hug with equal power. “It’s alright, sweetie. It’s just a dream. They can’t get you anymore.”

A/N: This was partly inspired by Meru-KeepAlive's "Those are just dreams" piece on deviantart. Anyway I feel like I'm not being as creative or detail-oriented as I could be with anything I write lately. My head isn't in the right place right now. But I hope this was good enough. Remember comments are appreciated.