Ch 5.1: Spirit World Bedtime Story

Korra tucked in the blankets under Riko’s small body. She chuckled as she lightly tickled the young child’s side, making her giggle. Korra sighed and turned the light off, about to walk out of the room.

“Wait, ma…” Korra paused and looked back. “Can you tell me a story tonight?”

Korra beamed brightly and sat back down on the bed. “I sure can, my little badgermole. What do you want to hear tonight?”

Young Riko seemed to ponder over it for a minute, poking her lip with her finger. “Tell me a new story.”

Korra smiled, seemingly thinking it over. “Okay, I’ve got a story for ya. There once was an heiress who fell in love with the master of elements. Things were rocky in the beginning, but they grew to become best friends and even lovers.” Riko giggled, knowing that she was talking about her and Asami. “They confessed to each other in the best way possible…”

~

Korra nervously gripped Asami’s hand harder as they finally came out on the other side of the Spirit World. Her throat went dry at what this vacation really meant for them. She had almost ruined everything for them when she disappeared for three years. Did Asami still really want her?

Asami noticed Korra’s change in demeanor and gently squeezed her hand. “Korra, you okay?”

Korra blinked and smiled brightly up at her, but Asami saw right through it and sighed. “I thought we were passed all of that.”

Korra’s smile faded, not understanding what she meant. Asami rested her hand on her cheek, making Korra go wide-eyed. “I told you I’ve already forgiven you. You have nothing to be ashamed of.”

Korra gulped and dropped her head, now understanding Asami’s words. However, the heiress quickly pulled her back up. “I won’t have you getting all depressed on me again, understand? We’re here for a vacation.”

Korra sighed. “How can you possibly forgive me?”

Asami pressed closer to her. “Because I love you, Korra.” Then she softly kissed her.

Tears dripped from Korra’s eyes as she returned the kiss. Suddenly Korra pulled away and more tears cascaded down her cheeks. “I’ll never leave you again, Asami! Just please give me another chance!” Korra cried.  

Asami instantly shushed her and carefully rubbed her tears away with her thumb. “Korra, it’s okay! I was going to ask you if you wanted to try us again. I guess that’s a yes.” She softly chuckled. Korra frantically nodded her head. Asami sighed and pulled the Avatar in for a hug. “I love you, Korra.”

“I love you too, Asami.” Korra continued to cry.

Then Asami smiled and began pulling Korra away from the portal. “Asami, where are we going?” Korra sniffled.

“I don’t know, Korra. You better take the lead from me before I get us lost. I’ve never been to the Spirit World before, remember.” Asami smiled as Korra instantly cheered up and reversed roles with her, taking the lead.