Ch 0.25 The Colors of Peril

When the Avatar wasn't training, she spent most days listening to the radio in an attempt to get news that the city needed her once again. Lin refused to call her for most basic things and Mako was given direct orders not to involve her unless it was as a last resort. Korra sighed. She knew she had done a lot as an Avatar already, but she was starting to feel like she wasn't needed anymore.

She was about to return to her studio when suddenly the radio sputtered into static before a news anchor started speaking. Her eyes slowly widened with each word spoken. She looked to the clock and scowled. Asami would be leaving work right about now. She had to catch her.

Asami sighed as she sat still in the rush-hour traffic. They'd been stuck like sitting ducks for ten minutes now as police were redirecting traffic for no apparent reason. As she slowly inched forward, sudden distant thumping gained her attention. The ground began to shake and a loud uproar could be heard up ahead. People started getting out of their cars to look around. The CEO opened the door and stepped one foot on the ground as she looked over the car door. There was nothing in sight, yet the noise grew louder and stronger. Was this why the police were redirecting traffic?

Her question was soon answered when a cloud of dust appeared not far away. People started running to find refuge in nearby buildings. Asami grabbed her suitcase and followed the crowd into a hotel.

Animals quickly took over the road, tramping over cars and destroying the road. Asami watched as a pack of lion vultures stomped and picked at her precious Satomobile. She frowned. That blue one was her favorite. She had built it while Korra was gone for three years.

Her attention was drawn away again when an ostrich horse ran into the wide hotel windows and began pecking at the glass. Asami quickly retreated in surprise as she stood back with other civilians. Just as the ostrich horse was about to break the glass, a lion vulture tackled the creature and the two began fighting.

'What in the world is going on?' Asami thought to herself. 'Why are there animals everywhere?!'

The stampede of wild animals continued to run through the streets for minutes. People began staggering out of the buildings as the dust settled and the animals disappeared. Asami stepped out cautiously and saw a stray boar trying to catch up to the herd.

"Did the zoo lose all of its animals or something?" Asami wondered aloud.

She surveyed the damage done by the stampede as others slowly found their demolished vehicles. She sighed sadly and ran a hand through her hair when she found her squashed Satomobile. Whoever released all of these animals had a lot to answer for.

Someone was walking through the cars tiredly yet purposefully. Behind all of the dirt covering the person was the Avatar. Asami gasped and weaved through the crowd. "Korra?! What happened?"

Korra jumped in surprised and quickly closed the space between them. "I've been looking for you!" Asami rose a brow. Korra pouted and scratched her cheek. "Okay, I was looking for you, but then the zoo animals were headed towards the industrial part of the city and I didn't want them to cause any more damage."

The CEO looked at her wife with wide eyes. "You stopped them?"

Korra chuckled and grabbed her hand. "Yeah, all I had to do was trap them with some earth walls. The zoo workers should be there shortly to rally them together."

"So they did escape from the zoo?"

Korra nodded. "Yeah, apparently someone forgot to lock up the front gate and some teenagers thought it would be funny to let all of the animals loose."