Chapter 11

Kohaku knocked on Riko’s door before entering. She was sitting in bed, listening to a probending match on the radio with Nami. She smiled and patted the bed for him to sit down with them. They listened to the match together until a commercial came on and she turned down the volume of the radio.

“I’m tired.” Nami said, rubbing her eyes.

“Okay, sis, I’ll take you to bed.” Riko said, leading her sister to her bedroom and putting her to sleep. Her brother was still on her bed, waiting for her to return. “You two have gotten close.”

“Yeah, it’s been like this since I returned from the hospital. So what do ya need little bro?”

He looked down in shame before producing a little bag from his pocket. She gasped. “What the fuck are you doing with that?! I swear if you’re still dealing out on the streets…”

“I’m not! We’re done with that for good. I just, I didn’t know what to do with this. I found it in my drawer. Forgot all about it. Heh…”

“What do you mean you don’t know what to do with it? THAT almost got us killed!”

“I mean it feels like a waste just throwing it out.” He groaned.

“Kohaku… I’ve gone months without that garbage. I don’t want it. I say throw it out, but it’s yours so…”

The boy pondered it for a minute, before walking into her bathroom. Riko heard the toilet flush. He came back empty-handed.

“You’re the birthday girl. So it’s gone. We’ll never get caught up in that junk again.”

Riko smiled and pulled her brother into bed with her, listening to the rest of the match on the radio.

After a while she spoke up again. “Wouldn’t it be cool if we made a probending team?”

“Yeah.”

“We should do it.”

“What?! B-But you’re still injured! And what about our parents? I doubt that they’ll let us.”

“We can do it under secret identities! And make up a team name!”

“But Asami loves going to probending matches!”

“Hmmmm… Well, she won’t be going to many of them since she just recently went back to work. I’m sure she’ll be busy for a while. They won’t even noticed!”

Kohaku pouted. “Why are we even talking about this? It’ll be months before you’re fully healed and able to bend again.”

Riko smirked. “Because we’re gonna have to convince Nami to join us. And we’ll need the time to train anyway. I can oversee you two’s training until I’m better.”