Chapter 66: An Ultimatum

None of the Avengers felt satisfaction after that mission. They didn't catch Rumlow, couldn't give him the punishment he deserved. Katya certainly would have liked to let some of her aggression out on him, but alas.

They tried to move on, but chose to lay low for a while. The world once again doubted their skills to bring missions to a good end and Katya didn't blame them. If the people who were supposed to protect you, couldn't do that without murdering dozens of innocent people, did the end justify the means?

Wanda locked herself up in her room. Katya had to drag her out to train and when that succeeded, she didn't say much. Guilt consumed her.

Eleven people had been killed. Eleven Wakandans, an advanced folk from a country somewhere in Africa. They mostly kept to themselves, but the king was well known for his generosity and kindness. The Wakandans in Lagos where there on an outreach mission, voluntarily helping the Nigerian country.

It had been two weeks, and while there were a lot of talks about consequences, nothing had happened yet. Katya knew it was bad this time, but what else could she do but wait?

She didn't entirely stop working though. Evil didn't stop when the Avengers were on a break. On the contrary. There were a lot of small threats happening everywhere. Criminals saw their chance now that resistance would be less.

So on her normally free Friday night, Katya sat on her bed, shifting through files and papers. There was a situation in Thailand that called her name but she couldn't figure out who was behind it all. It frustrated her to the bone and she was so deep in thought she only noticed Natasha when the door fell into the lock with a soft thud.

The Russian stopped, stared at her fiancée and shook her head. Katya was overworking herself. With a sly smile, she sat down next to her, the bed dipping down slightly. 

Katya didn't look up or acknowledge her in any way, so Natasha had other plans to gain her attention. 

When soft lips attached itself to her neck, Katya's hand froze in the middle of turning over a page. ''What are you doing?'' she asked, knowing damn well where this was going. Her body did too, because her heart jumped without her consent.

There was no answer, but her hair was moved away from her neck. ''Are you trying to seduce me?'' She felt Natasha smile against her skin. 

The redhead hummed, her breath sending shivers down Katya's spine and speeding up her heart. It was embarrassing how much of an effect she had on her. ''Is it working?''

''No,'' Katya managed to squeeze out, her voice octaves higher than it normally was. She refused to give in so easily, even though she was long gone and the paper was crumbling in her fist. 

Slowly, the kisses trailed down to her collarbone. Katya forced herself to keep her eyes open, but when a hand also slowly trailed up her thigh, she was close to giving in.

''How about now?'' 

''No,'' the brunette breathed, but she had long abandoned the papers in her hands. They were roughly shoved away from her lap when Natasha climbed on top of her, continuing her assault on her neck. Trailing further and further down while nibbing and sucking on her skin until she found the one sensitive spot on Katya's neck. She knew exactly how to work her body, what would get her to give in.

''Still nothing?'' she teased merciless. That woman was going to be the death of her. 

Katya grumbled, no longer able to keep her hands to herself. With a groan, she grabbed Natasha's head and pulled it up, connecting their lips. Natasha smiled in victory when Katya moaned softly before pulling them both down and hastily grabbing the hem of Natasha's top as she did so.