Chapter 73: How Did We Get Here?

The only freakin' car Katya could find in the vicinity of the building, was an ancient Volkswagen Beetle. What an amazing, nostalgic choice. It surprised her that it even started.

Being the smallest of the group of four, she was dragged out the driver's seat and forced into the back with Barnes, who did his best not to stare at her. In fact, he had pushed his body as far to the side of the car as he could, as if he was afraid of accidentally touching her. 

While she was out, the men had made a plan and she had got to admit, it wasn't bad. First, call Carter -which was risky because she was still with the UN- to get their gear back, then, drive to the nearest airport and use a chopper to get out. The chopper, Clint would provide.

Katya wished she could relax while Steve drove through the city, but that was impossible when they were still being hunted and when Katya's mind was shifting through her memories, pinpointing the brainwashed ones. Every time one floated to the surface, she flinched subtly, accompanied by a wave of guilt and shame. 

So to distract herself, she kept a close eye on the surrounding vehicles at all times, both on the ground and in the air. A helicopter passed them a couple times, but nothing happened. Maybe the Beetle wasn't such a bad idea after all.

''Katariina,'' Barnes suddenly muttered in the silence of the car. His whole posture was insecure.

Katya didn't turn around. In the direction of her tiny window, she answered, ''Name's Katya now, soldier.'' She hoped he'd shut up. She was really not feeling anything for a talk with him. Not in this car, not with the two men in the front listening in.

A tiny smile flashed over his face, but it was gone quickly. ''I'm sorry,'' he finally said.

Confused, she turned around, feeling Steve's eyes on them via the rearview mirror. ''For what?''

His blue eyes jumped around the car. It was weird to see such a strong man be insecure and awkward. ''Bringing you into this mess.''

Katya chuckled, turning back to the window. ''Hate to break it to you, but that wasn't all you. It's mostly my fault.''

''Still, I'm sorry for all the pain I've caused you in the past.''

Steve had just driven out of the city, following the railway line into a more quiet area of Germany. It was peaceful, the green fields, but Katya had always liked cities better. ''It's okay, it wasn't your fault.''

Nobody spoke after that. It was definitely an awkward silence, with nobody knowing what to talk about. Everything was already said.

Wanda would have a field day reading Katya's mind. Not that she did that or enjoyed the depressing thoughts, but there were so many, it would crush her if she listened in. No matter how hard Katya tried not to think back, she couldn't close the door of the room she stuffed the memories into. 

Every time it nearly fell into the lock, Tony's hurt eyes slipped out, Natasha's pleading voice rang in her ears and Sam's terrified stare burned through her. 

In the distance, under an overpass, after a good half hour of driving, a sleek silver Audi waited for them. It had been a huge risk to call Carter, but they needed their gear to fight and she was the only one they slightly trusted. ''Be careful, Steve. It could be a trap,'' Katya stopped him before he could step out.

''It's not,'' was his simple answer.

''He's still reckless and self-destructive, isn't he?'' Barnes sighed as soon as Steve was out of earshot. Katya shot him a look that said enough. 

Out of the Audi stepped Sharon, greeting Steve with a quick nod and opening the trunk of the car. Steve's red, blue and silver shield stuck out like a sore thumb, but their stuff was all there. Sam's wings, Katya's suit. She'd brought it with her to Vienna in her bag because of a feeling she might need it.