Chapter 49: Presents And Embarrassment

''Happy birthday, baby,'' Katya whispered in the half-light room, the bright sun promising yet another beautiful day in the city. 

The last few months, they had been looking for Loki's scepter, every mission without any success. Everyone was sick and tired of hitting dead end after dead end, but kicking HYDRA ass never got old. They had dismantled a lot of bases and locked up lots of people. 

It wasn't the worst job in the world, but it was discouraging to come up empty at every location. They had been all over the world at this point: Europe, South America, Asia, Africa, you name it, they had been there. The jet lags were the worst to get over each time, but nobody gave up. That wasn't the Avengers. 

They had come back from a mission a week before and would be going on another one soon, but right now, everybody was home, staying busy, keeping up training and staying ready to fight. 

Like every morning, the alarm went at six. Both women liked an early start to their morning, training first thing, then continuing looking for clues. But this day would be different, although Natasha wished it wasn't. 

''Ssshhh, if we ignore it, it won't be real.'' She sat up in bed, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and brushing the hair from her face. Even with her messy bedhead and old t-shirt, Katya found her absolutely stunning. 

''I don't think it works like that. At least I hope not, or I wrapped this for nothing.'' The small box she had wrapped late last night lay underneath their bed, knowing it would be safe there for one night. 

Katya grabbed it, childish excitement filling her stomach as she straddled her girlfriend and offered her the box. 

Natasha eyed the object with surprise, not having expected anything. ''I thought we agreed, no presents.'' The annoyance was fake, because Katya could read her like an open book and knew she deeply appreciated the act. Not many people got her a gift just because they wanted to, doing something out of the goodness of their heart. 

''When do I ever listen? Besides, I had a little help with this and he won't be happy if you don't open it.'' Katya didn't have to press, knowing Natasha would accept it after she gave up on her act. 

Natasha narrowed her eyes, but a small smile played on her lips at the excitement on Katya's face. ''Fine, but you owe me one.'' Her delicate hands accepted the gift and started unwrapping the paper. 

''Oh no, after you open this, you owe me one.''

Katya had trouble suppressing her excitement. It was the best gift she had ever given someone, although that wasn't really a measurement, because she never gave anyone gifts. But still, she felt pretty confident about this. 

She carefully read Natasha's eyes when she got to the content of the box, and knew she had hit the mark. 

She had had a hard time thinking about a gift, because what do you get someone who doesn't value stuff, who doesn't decorate or has redundant stuff. It had to be something useful, something she would use often, but not too standard of a gift. 

Katya said nothing as Natasha gently took the weapon out of the small box. It was a deep black, pitch black like the nights in the countryside, small lines running over the entire gun like a spider's web. They were barely there, but had been so delicately placed and finished around the corners that it gave that slight texture to it. 

On the outside, the spider Natasha's codename was based on was placed out of the way of the shooter's grip. The red hourglass on its back the only pop of color on the entire gun. Again: it was very subtle, but it was there.

On the inside, along the length of the barrel, stood a simple text, engraved into the metal by Katya herself. 

я люблю тебя.