Chapter 15: Losing And Gaining

She was definitely knocked unconscious, because only Fury was left in the room when Katya woke up. Everybody else was gone, either fallen out through the windows or getting ready to fight and suiting up somewhere else.

Her first thought was always Natasha and panic raised in her throat when she didn't see her. Natasha wouldn't leave Katya laying here like this, so something must have happened to her. 

''Petrova? You good?'' Fury had pushed himself up from the ground with some loud grunts and stumbled over to the woman as best as he could.

Her head throbbed, probably from hitting the wall, and her left arm had a lot of tiny glass pieces stuck in it. But overall, she was okay. 

Nodding, she gladly accepted the hand Fury extended to her, pulling her up easily. ''Where's Nat?''

''Don't know. We have to get to the bridge.'' Fury knew Natasha could handle herself and didn't worry about her, but Katya had trouble following him out of the room and not start looking for her. He knew Katya would feel better and do her job better, knowing the redheaded spy was fine, so he asked into his ear anyway. ''Romanoff?''

Natasha was panting and shaken up from the fall when she answered. ''We're okay.'' It didn't completely convince Katya, but it was enough to ease her nerves a little bit. ''Katya?'' The question was directed at Fury, but Katya answered herself.

''I'm with Fury. Be careful please.''

''You too.'' Her voice was too quiet for Katya's liking, but knew she couldn't do anything anyway right now.

The loud roar of the Hulk scared Katya to death while running through the hallways of the ship. Alarms sounded and lights flashed very annoyingly throughout the whole walk over to the bridge. It was no surprise the monster had come out following the explosion. It would have been more surprising if it didn't. But it scared the shit out of her anyway. Another problem they had to deal with.

It was chaos when Katya and Fury arrived in the biggest room of the ship. Everyone ran around and yelled at each other, although weirdly enough, it was all in an organized manner. 

Fury bolted to his own station, yelling loudly to the guy steering the flying trap. ''Bring the carrier inwards and head south. Take us to the water.'' Smart, in case the ship fell out of the sky, a water landing would be less fatal. 

''Flying blind,'' the agent yelled back, tapping on his screen wildly. ''Navigations recalibrated after the engine failure.''

Fury was not happy to be contradicted right now, his one eye focusing angrily on the guy. ''Is the sun coming up?''

The guy looked seriously scared of him, something that brought a smile on Katya's face despite the situation. ''Yes, sir.''

''Then put it on the left!'' Fury exclaimed impatiently. ''Get us over water! One more turbine goes down and we drop.''

Katya stood a few feet behind the director, feeling pretty useless while he tapped and swiped on his monitors. ''Sir, what can I do?''

''Stay here, protect this room,'' was his short answer.

So she did, turning around in her spot from time to time to cover the whole room. While she watched the doors, windows and other entryways into the room carefully for any sign of movement, Katya tried her best to ignore the loud crashes and explosions in the ship. 

It wasn't clear where it came from or what it was, but the Hulk was probably responsible for a lot of them. It took out a lot of systems, blinding them more than they were already. Between the explosion and the Hulk, the ship caught some nasty blows.