Chapter 19: Battle Part 3

They sprinted to the bank. Katya had no idea where 42nd and Madison was, but the Captain did, running far in front because he was a lot faster than her. And probably also a lot less tired. All because of the serum.

Let's just keep it at that.

''You take the ground floor, I'll take first,'' he ordered. And he knew the lay-out of the bank. Did he also got a computer implanted in his head when getting the serum in the forties? Certainly New York had changed a lot since his days here, but he seemed to be very observant.

Steve didn't wait for her answer, just jumped through the already broken window on the first floor like it wasn't ten foot up from the ground. ''Damn,'' Katya muttered before taking out her knives and sneaking through the front doors of the building.

If she could sneak up on the aliens, she could already take out a few before they started fighting back. The alien gun she left behind, not wanting to scare the civilians into thinking she was one of the bad guys. Quite funny actually. A couple years ago, she was. 

It was just Katya's luck that three aliens stood with their backs to her, rifles pointed at the crowd. They should really put someone on watch, because she plunged one knife in the first Chitauri's back before the other two could comprehend what was going on. 

Half the people in the crowd watched as she took down the second and third alien, while the other half stared at the floor above, seeing Captain America in the flesh. Katya usually didn't like an audience, people were always in the way, but she didn't mind now, finally being able to show them she was here to protect them.

Although she would have liked that to be in a better setting. Maybe one where she didn't have alien blood all over her body with her knives repeatedly stabbing the creatures in an aggressive way. Way to go.

Loud gasps made her turn around just in time to see Steve throw a Chitauri down into the crowd. Good job, Rogers, you could have crushed a couple civilians with that move.

''Clear out!'' She heard his voice shout from above. But the people were frozen, too shocked at what was happening. Katya had to pull on their arms to get them to move. When the first one left, the rest followed on their own. It went even quicker after a loud explosion sounded above, with people now yelling and pushing to get out of the building.

Luckily, the National Guard had finally decided to show up, so Katya wasn't alone in guiding the civilians to a safe place, out of the building and into the subway. 

Her ears ringed from the blast and it was difficult to hear anything. All sounds were muffled. But her sight was fine and that's also how she found Steve, standing in front of the bank, pulling himself together after he had fallen out the window.

He looked lost, not moving, staring at the terror around him like it overwhelmed him. Maybe he had flashbacks, maybe his PTSD couldn't handle this yet, because he wasn't here, his eyes were distant. That's also why he jumped when Katya's hand landed on his shoulder gently. 

''You okay?'' She studied his face carefully and knew that look all too well. Only soldiers had this look, damaged soldiers. 

Steve wasn't happy he got caught, like he was ashamed, but he nodded before giving her a tiny smile. Something glistened behind his eyes, something humorous. Katya tilted her head, waiting for him to say what was on his mind. ''You know, under all that hard exterior, you're a very kind person.''

Her eyes widened in fake shock. ''O god, don't tell anyone that.''

They both chuckled, a welcome change from the serious situation they were in. But Steve's face fell quickly, reminded of the ongoing fight by the noise around them. ''You ready to kill more of those things?''