Chapter 11: Gods

Katya made herself comfortable in one of the chairs at the big table. There was nothing for her to do but wait. She knew how the SHIELD technology worked, but there were much more experienced people already working the problem. It would only make their job harder if she tried to interfere with it.

She also didn't know anything about the cube or of any science that was of use, helping Banner wasn't an option either. That's why she sat slouched in the thick leather chair; legs propped up on the table. Rogers gave her a disapproving look, but he didn't say anything. This wasn't his territory, it was hers.

A couple empty cups of coffee and one half-empty stood on the table in front of her, including some empty snack packages. Natasha would scold her for eating something unhealthy while on duty, but it was just too good to resist. Besides, Katya needed sugar to stay awake. 

Natasha hadn't come back after showing Banner the lab, but Katya knew she had her own assignments and didn't go look for her. A distraction wasn't something she could use right now. 

So Katya waited and waited, listening in to Coulson and Rogers' awkward conversation. The SHIELD Agent had finally gotten the courage to ask the Captain to sign his trading cards. Natasha would have laughed at his predictability.

Katya was about to take another couple sips from her coffee when a loud bleeping noise made her stand up from the chair. She knew what it meant. 

''We got a hit,'' an Agent named Sitwell said loudly, probably to Fury who had taken his place in the center again. Katya had always had a weird feeling about the Agent, like he was hiding something. ''Sixty-seven percent match. Wait, cross match, seventy-nine percent.''

Seventy-nine percent, that's a good match, too good to ignore. Katya effortlessly jumped over the railing, down to the lower floor below and stood next to Coulson watching the screen of the computer. 

''Location?'' she demanded, knowing she was one level higher than the bald man and he had to do what she said. Sitwell narrowed in on the location, Katya sighing when she saw where the god was held up. Germany.

''Stuttgart, Germany. 28 Königstraße. He's not exactly hiding.'' That wasn't a good sign. A god is smart, right? So to be out in the open in a large building with lots of camera's meant he didn't care who saw him. Like he wanted to be found. But it was the only lead they had, still not having heard from Banner.

''Captain.'' Katya looked back just in time to see Rogers turn to Fury, fearing his words. ''You're up.'' While the man speed-walked to the door, Fury looked to her next. ''Get Romanoff, you're flying.''

She nodded and followed Steve out, ready to suit up and get to the fight. They had to be quick. If Loki didn't care he was seen, then he wasn't planning on being in the same place for long. She pressed the comm in her ear, knowing that searching the ship for the redhead would take too long. ''Nat, Loki's in Germany, we take the Quinjet in ten.''

''I'm on my way.''  The answer came back immediately. Katya found the first dressing room she could, throwing on her suit and putting her weapons where they belonged. Two guns on her thighs, knives in her belt and boots, extra magazines in her belt along with some other fun things such as the throwing stars she had stolen from Natasha.

Her bag she stuffed in a locker and within ten minutes, she had reached at the jet, where Natasha already waited in the pilot seat, pushing buttons and flipping switches. The Captain came in last, just when Katya finished braiding her long blonde hair. She liked it out of her face, unlike Natasha, who always wore it down. She had no idea how she saw anything that way.

The tattoo in her neck had been covered up for a long time now, a nice rose in its place. The tattoo artist had done a beautiful job at hiding the logo, nobody could see that it ever was something that made her somebody's property. The leaves had some red ink in them too, a little reference to her red-haired girlfriend.