Chapter 8: Shivers

So taking it slow is exactly what they did. 

It was another few days after her little talk with Clint that Natasha finally mastered up the courage to ask Katya to do something fun. It wasn't a date, more a way of getting to know each other first without all the feelings involved.

Katya was really happy Natasha came around so fast. She would have to thank Clint for being her wingman. 

Natasha knocked on her door before Katya planned to go to bed. She was writing down the events of the day and anything filling her mind right now. She always did this to clear her mind before sleeping.

''Hey, can we talk?'' Natasha said from the door, watching as Katya put her book down. The blonde saw she was nervous, her eyes darting back and forth in her room. 

Katya conjured up a kind smile to put her at ease. ''Sure, come in.'' Her hand patted on the couch next to her. Natasha didn't smile back as she usually did, but nevertheless walked in and sat down next to her.

Her eye fell on the black book Katya put down after she had knocked on the door. ''What were you writing?'' she asked casually. Natasha tried to avoid the subject she actually wanted to talk about for a second longer.

Katya glanced at the book, shrugging. ''Anything that comes into my mind. Thoughts, memories, events, feelings.'' She put extra emphasis on the last word, letting Natasha know she knew why she was here and there was no point avoiding it. It caused Natasha to break eye contact and look down at her hands in her lap. 

It was quiet for a while, but Katya didn't push her. Natasha was uncomfortable talking about something and had to find the courage to say the words she wanted to say. 

Finally, after a torturing couple seconds, her green irises looked up from her hands and stared into Katya's. She cleared her throat, acting casual and as if it didn't bother her. ''You want to do something tomorrow? Nothing too serious, just getting to know each other.''

She was a spy for god's sake, she had asked people out before, but those were targets and it wasn't real, didn't hold any meaning.

Katya's brain itched to tease her to lighten the mood, but that would just make Natasha more insecure about this whole situation. This was a big thing for her and she didn't want to make fun of it. So she put on the brightest smile she could manage and answered honestly. ''I would love to.''

Natasha's eyes lit up behind the facade. Maybe she hadn't expected her to say yes, or she had created a distance to protect her feelings in case she would have said no. ''Great, I'll pick you up tomorrow then.'' She suppressed the joy she felt to not scare Katya off too much, but she didn't realize nothing could scare her off at this point.

Katya nodded her head. ''I'll see you tomorrow.'' Her eyes followed the spy as she stood up and walked out the door, closing it behind her. She felt the same joy Natasha did. Never would she have expected her to ask her this so quickly, let alone this direct.

The 'date' was really nothing special, but good enough for the first day out. They went to get some lunch in a little café and then walked around D.C. for a little while. Because Katya had never been there, Natasha showed her the landmarks and told some things about them. But they mostly talked. About themselves, their shitty lives, all the things they missed out on because they weren't together.

None of the two could ignore how good it felt to be in each other's presence, talking about stuff that didn't matter with the sun on their faces. Natasha was always on edge around people, but with Katya, she felt at ease, knowing she didn't have to hide because Katya knew who she was already.