Chapter 89: Saved By The Bell

5 years later

Katya silently placed the plate with the peanut butter sandwich on the table. Natasha had one of her bad days, so she tried leaving her alone mostly. Both of them had developed a skill where they could see what mood the other was in the second they woke up. 

Katya felt good today. She had jogged around the Compound in the rising sun this morning, called the orphanage she won't make it in, made lunch for both of them and even cleaned the parts of the building they were using, which was not even a tenth of it. 

The weather was nice and Katya hoped she could get Natasha so far as to take a walk with her after dinner, which consisted of bread. Peanut butter for Nat, one of her guilty pleasures.

''Thanks.''

Katya winked at her as an answer, leaving her to her work. Everyone would check in soon. Okoye, Carol, Rocket, Rhodey. Just to have a little update as to what was going on and how things were going. Natasha coordinated all of it, a job that should be for multiple people but she carried on her own, refusing to let Katya help.

In silence they ate dinner. Well, Katya did, curled up on the couch with a book, because Natasha hadn't touched her food and shoved it to the side. 

The library didn't hold enough interesting books to fill five years, so Katya had started on the more boring books. Books about topics she had never heard off. Scientific things mostly. All the history books were finished, together with the novels and even the couple poetry collections someone must have put there. Who? That was a mystery. Maybe Bruce?

A loud chiming sound interrupted her reading. Actually, it startled her to death because of the volume. And when she looked up from her lap, Carol stood in the middle of the room, body turned towards Natasha. Well, she wasn't really in the room, but her Hologram. They looked very real though.

''Danvers,'' Natasha greeted her monotonously, finally getting to work on eating that sandwich. She was fragile today and had yet to break at the smallest thing. The light in her green eyes didn't shine. They were dull today.

Carol nodded, seeing in one glance what the mood in the Compound was and adjusting her own energy to that. ''Romanoff, long time no see.''

Carol had had a haircut, and a very nice one for that matter. Her mid-length blonde hair was now very short. Practical and nice. 

''How's Katya?''

Katya perked up. ''She's great,'' she called out loudly. For as long as that lasted anyway. The tiniest mishap could happen and she'd fall down hard. It didn't take much these days.

Carol turned and saw the brunette on the couch, smiling kindly. ''Oh, hey.''

''Hey, Carol.'' It was impossible to not like her. The woman was very funny and really kind. Without her, Tony would have died in space, so the Avengers owed her a life debt she didn't want to hear about. ''Anything exciting happen in space?''

She shrugged. ''Oh you know, more people thinking they can challenge me.''

Katya chuckled and shook her head, diving into her book to let them get to it. She debated on leaving the room, but she wanted to keep an eye on Natasha. And also because she wanted to hear what the others had to say. Space could be very entertaining.