Chapter 22: Home

Laura waited for them in the doorway of the small house, having heard the Quinjet's arrival.

Katya loved coming to Clint's house. It was everything she dreamed of when she was little. A quiet place, no people around for miles, a cute little house with a family. It used to hurt whenever she would come here, reminding her of everything she could never have, but it didn't anymore.

She had moved on from those pointless wishes a long time ago, but it was still nice to come here. The peace and the space were so calming. That was also a downside though. At SHIELD, in the city, there was always something to do, something going on. Here, there was nothing. It was just you and your thoughts to distract you. 

She could never stay long, no longer than two weeks, but that was fine with her. Laura hated it when they would have to leave so soon every time, though. The woman didn't have much people to talk to around here, especially no grown-up women like Katya and Natasha. That's why she always pampered them the time they were here.

Where Katya might have moved on from her dreams of ever living this life, Natasha hadn't. She was happy to be here, but a little sadness was always present. A sadness that disappeared whenever they were back at SHIELD. 

What Clint had was everything Natasha wanted since she was little. A quiet life, away from the horrors of the outside world. Somewhere she didn't have to be on edge all the time. Didn't have to look over her shoulder. She longed for a life like this.

Today was no different. Maybe it was even worse, because of the huge battle they just had. The contrast with the green landscape in front of them was very big.

Katya stayed close to her girlfriend, who carried both their bags even after she had protested that she still had one usable arm. Natasha had just given her a glare, ending the discussion. 

''Hi honey!'' Clint yelled to his wife when they were still far away from the house. Katya couldn't see it, but suspected Laura was rolling her eyes at his theatrics. 

He hugged her and kissed her when he stepped on the porch first. ''You brought the girls!'' Laura exclaimed, almost pushing her husband away when she saw them standing behind him. Natasha dropped the bags she was holding and hugged the woman. She didn't trust many people, but Laura belonged to the ones she did trust.

''How have you been, Laura?'' she asked after she pulled away, scanning the woman's face to make sure she was telling the truth.

Laura smiled at Natasha's concern for her wellbeing. ''A little lonely, but at least I have the kids.''

''Are they being nice? If not, I can take care of it for you,'' Natasha joked.

Laura laughed. ''Thanks, but they're the sweetest.'' Her eyes traveled from the woman in front of her to the one standing behind Natasha, awkwardly waiting to be noticed. Not that Natasha ever came here without Katya.

The first time Clint brought Katya here, she had been so nervous. Meeting new people wasn't her thing, especially when they were important to her friends. 

She didn't have friends before, so she didn't know how to act or what to say. But Laura made her feel welcome immediately, almost dragging her in the house and interrogating her about her relationship with Natasha. Apparently, Natasha didn't want to talk about it herself, so Laura had to get the deeds from Katya.

They had laughed together and Laura had trusted her as if they had known each other for years. 

Now, coming here was like a warm bath. It felt like the home neither her nor Natasha had ever had before.

''What happened to you?'' Laura almost pushed Natasha away and stalked over Katya. She was always so worried about them, about the missions they went on, if they would come back in one piece.