Chapter 78: Out Of The Shadows

2018

''Morning,'' Katya mumbled when Natasha moved in her arms. It would have been pitch black in the room if they hadn't left the curtain slightly open before they went to bed, letting the rays from the streetlights in. Neither of them liked the dark. 

This hotel had two twin-bedded rooms left, meaning both her and Nat, and Sam and Steve could stay in separate rooms, which was the best for everyone. It also meant they could finally cuddle liked they wanted to, and they took advantage of it. 

''No,'' was the short answer she got, followed by Natasha pressing her head further against Katya's neck, her nose trailing along her skin. Her whole body clung to the brunette's, reveling in the feeling of safety and peace it provided her.

''No?'' Katya repeated surprised, smiling at her wife's cuteness while dragging her fingertips up and down her back under her shirt.

Natasha's breath traveled over Katya's neck as she whispered, ''We're staying in bed today.''

Katya chuckled softly, combing her fingers through the short, blonde hair. She missed Natasha's signature red and couldn't get used to this dull color. But the bright red was simply too noticeable while hiding from the authorities. ''I would love to, but it is my turn for a supply run.''

''Sam can go,'' Natasha protested weakly.

''Sam went last week.'' Katya smiled, loving the light-heartedness of the conversation and the way Natasha clung to her.

''Steve then.''

''Babe, no,'' Katya laughed, wishing she could simply send one of the guys out, but they had a routine that was meant to ensure their safety and she couldn't just deviate from it. ''You can stay in bed, but I'll brave the winter cold to get us some food.''

''Fine,'' Natasha grumbled and let Katya's warm body go, turning around as petty protest. ''Don't forget my snacks.''

Katya shook her head at the dramatics, a bright smile settling on her face. ''Yeah yeah, snacks, I got it.'' She reached over and kissed the redhead's cheek, pulling the covers up over her shoulders after she had stepped out. ''I'll be back in an hour.''

''Stay safe,'' Natasha mumbled into the pillow, already halfway back to sleep.

Katya stopped and admired the sight. ''Always.''

It was still dark out when she stepped out of the old and run down hotel. It was a cheap one, like all of them had been. Cheap hotels meant no security, less cameras and less questions asked. The group of four mostly stayed in cold areas so they could hide under their hoods and scarfs without it being weird.

Today, the hotel stood in Belarus, but it was a different hotel every couple of days and a different country every month. It was tricky flying across borders, but luckily the Quinjet had cloaking, making it invisible for airspace control. It was a pain to park the huge jet, though. Most buildings weren't strong enough to support its weight, so the ex-Avengers chose small towns just outside a forest or farmlands.

This small town had a surprisingly spacious supermarket. It wasn't huge, but there were at least twenty customers at all times, giving Katya the cover she needed without people staring at her too much. 

It was an icy day, freezing temperatures below zero in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. A strong wind blew the snow in her eyes, the only part of her body exposed to the cold. By the time she had grabbed a cart and stepped into the store, her eyelashes were frozen together.