Chapter 9: A Mission

2012

Natasha had been gone on a mission for the last month, going undercover somewhere in their home country of Russia. Katya was always restless when Natasha went on long, deep undercover missions like this, knowing the Black Widow was assigned to the most dangerous ones that no simple SHIELD Agent could execute.

But she also knew Natasha could protect herself and had a reason to come home. 

This evening wasn't unlike any other. Katya finished her assignments, cleaned her mess and the dishes in the sink and got ready to go to bed when she got a call. Checking her phone, Director Fury's name flashed on her screen. He wasn't at HQ, otherwise he preferred face-to-face conversations.

Because he wasn't blind and knew she and Natasha were together, he had become more 'friendly' to her too. So to say she only saw the man as a distant Director would be a lie.

''Director,'' Katya greeted when she answered the phone, putting it on speaker so she could do other stuff at the same time. 

''Petrova, I need you to call your girlfriend and then get Rogers. We have a serious issue and need all of you on the Helicarrier. Get to Coulson, he will give you the details.'' Fury was everywhere and nowhere, and right now, he was on one of SHIELD's latest designs; a very big flying ship that could easily house two thousand people. The Helicarrier.

Katya nodded, even though he couldn't see it. ''Yes, sir. I will see you there.'' 

Hanging up, she speed-walked to the older man's office. She loved Coulson, he was the friendliest person she had ever met. He had accepted her as a SHIELD Agent immediately after she came here and started training with Natasha and Clint. He never judged people on their past and such a person was hard to find, especially when it came to risky business like HYDRA.

SHIELD HQ was busy as usual, Katya pushing past some agents who weren't in a rush. The whole building knew about her relationship with Natasha, so people stepped to the side when she marched through the hallways. Not that they needed to, she wasn't going to kill them for looking at her weirdly, but it was hard to get rid of a reputation.  

Katya knocked on the door of Coulson's office, a couple floors up. He already expected her and explained quickly what was going on, sipping a cup of coffee every now and then.

She was shocked to hear that Clint was compromised. It was very vague still, but Coulson mentioned something about aliens from outer space? 

An Asgardian named Loki had used a weird and very powerful power source to create a portal from space and then stole it from a SHIELD facility to use for his own gain. All the while hypnotizing one scientist and a few Agents into working with him, including Clint. He was just at the wrong place on the wrong time. 

Coulson handed Katya his phone, explaining what Natasha was dealing with and how she could get her on the phone. Natasha hated when something interrupted with her missions, but maybe she wouldn't get that annoyed with Katya.

Katya's nails tapped restlessly against the back of the phone as she held it to her ear, waiting for somebody's voice to come through. Finally, somebody picked up.

''да?'' (Yes?)

''дай мне Luchkov'' (Give me Luchkov), Katya demanded. Made sense Luchkov would have one of his minions to answer the phone. He acted like an important person, but it was mostly a facade. Knowing Natasha, she could get through his defenses quickly.