Chapter 7: Katariina

Natasha felt restless and confused. The training with Katya had stirred up some emotions she had finally pushed down in the four weeks she hadn't seen her. But when Katya had opened the door and that beautiful smile welcomed her back with a joke, all those carefully stored-away feelings broke out.

It was hard to tell what caused them, but her illuminating blue eyes definitely belonged on the list. They were so easy to get lost in, and losing control was something Natasha just didn't do. 

That night she slept bad again, tossing and turning while trying to get her off her mind. But it was useless. It didn't take more than two months for Natasha Romanoff's old feelings for Katya to come back. Like they had never been apart. It was weird and terrifying and staying away from her was the only option, but she didn't want too.

She made her feel light and happy, something she only felt around her. Her aura and laugh didn't know about the effect they had on the redhead, who didn't want to have anything to do with feelings. 

A soft knock came on the door the following morning, just when she was ready to face the day. It was immediately clear who it was. Barton had a harder knock and always knocked twice. Other agents wouldn't even dare to knock on her door.

Dark brown hair welcomed her from behind the door. Unsure eyes that didn't belong to Katya awaited her reaction warily. A stab of guilt in Natasha's stomach was the result. She was the reason for Katya's unusual sadness. 

''Hey. I know you don't want to talk to me right now, but I need your help,'' Katya started softly. This piqued Natasha's interest. Her own feelings didn't matter if Katya needed help. ''Since I can't leave the building and this place doesn't have a built-in hair salon and I figured you probably have some experience with dyeing hair... Can you help me dye mine?''

When Natasha just stared at her, unsure if she was being serious, she continued. ''I mean, I have never dyed it myself and I don't know which color to go for.'' Her hands held up two packets of hair dye. One brown and one with bleach for blonde hair. ''I sent Barton out to get me these, I'm surprised he got it right.''

She looked so helpless and unsure that it was too painful for Natasha to say no. Opening the door, she made a gesture for her to enter. ''Thanks.'' 

Katya studied the apartment the same way Natasha did yesterday, taking in everything. There were almost no personal things in sight. No pictures, books or decorations. Natasha liked it simple and clean. It matched her personality perfectly. A SHIELD laptop stood on the coffee table; she had done some research the day before.

''So, what do you think?'' Katya held the two packets of dye up, not sure which color she wanted. 

Natasha stared at her, trying to remember what blonde hair used to look like on her. Katya almost squirmed under her gaze, trying to suppress the heat flooding her cheeks. Without another word, the redhead walked to her and grabbed the bleach out of her hands. ''Definitely blonde.''

That light smile came back on her face, although a little cautious. ''Blonde it is.'' She trusted Natasha's judgement completely and followed her to the bathroom, where she made her stand in front of the mirror, under the bright lights. Her delicate hands opened the package and read through the instructions quickly, before mixing everything together and putting the gloves on.

That reminded Katya of something. Taking the hem of her shirt, she pulled it over her head, leaving her in only her bra. 

''What are you doing?'' Natasha asked panicked, trying not to stare, but that only made it more obvious that she didn't want to stare, looking anywhere but in the mirror and the scarred back of the woman in front of her.