Chapter 80: Nothing Left To Save

Katya woke up because someone was shaking her shoulder softly. ''Kat, you'll wanna see this.''

She hadn't realized she had fallen asleep, but her head had dropped against the wall of the jet and her muscles were stiff. In one day, she had flown from Belarus to Scotland to America and now to Africa. 

''Drop to 2600, heading 0-3-0.''

Katya realized why Natasha had woke her up and smiled excitingly. Natasha knew how much she loved flying through the invisible barrier. It was something indescribable, the protective dome around Wakanda. If anyone needed confirmation the country was the most advanced on the planet, it was that thing right there. 

Joining her small team in the cockpit, Katya watched the cliffs come closer as Sam dropped the nose of the jet down. This was his first time flying through it, and he was understandably uneasy. 

''I hope you're right about this, Cap. Or we're gonna land a lot faster than you want to,'' Sam joked, shifting in his seat. 

It was so unnatural to steer the plane into the cliffs and unconsciously, Katya's body braced itself for the impact, but it never came. The barrier, made up of hexagon shapes, broke apart the second they flew through, revealing the beautiful and open country with the name of Wakanda.

Katya exhaled in relief and grinned widely at the green fields, huge lake and high buildings in all kinds of weird shapes that oddly enough, fit in well with the landscape. She loved this place so much. It was peaceful, isolated and the people were really friendly. That and everything was modern, with Vibranium being the main component of almost all things. 

She would advice anyone to spend a few weeks in the country. Maybe zen wasn't the right way to say it, but you came back feeling better than ever.

The peace abruptly ended when Vision gasped loudly, reaching for his Stone. Nobody had to ask anything upon seeing the look on his face, Wanda talking softly to him. The Avengers glanced at each other, the anxiety level in the jet shooting up. 

Thanos had another Stone. 

The Soul Stone no doubt. He now had four. The most powerful alien of the Universe against a bunch of enhanced beings and normal humans. Katya wished she could call some of the Inhumans she knew. Their powers were powerful as hell. But time was already running out, this was the team they had to fight with today. Hopefully it would be enough.

Sam landed the jet skillfully in front of the already waiting king T'Challa. Katya was nervous to see him again. After all, she had fought against him and was pretty sure he hated her. But as she walked down the ramp next to Steve and her eyes met T'Challa's, he smiled faintly and nodded in respect.

The warrior women with the spears around him didn't look too happy they had arrived, but that might have to do with the war they were bringing with them. 

''Should we bow?'' Bruce whispered to Rhodey behind Katya's back, and she smiled at the answer he got. They didn't bow here, but Bruce didn't know that. Wait, did he even know T'Challa?

''Yeah, he's a king,'' Rhodey answered as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Only Katya was able to hear the smile he was smothering. 

''Seems like I'm always thanking you for something,'' Steve greeted T'Challa when he reached him, shaking his hand with a friendly smile. Steve would never be able to repay him for what he had done for Barnes, getting the words out of his head. 

Katya hadn't tried to do the same for herself, no matter how much Natasha encouraged her to do it. It was a part of her past she had closed off and didn't want to go looking into. After all, it was unlikely someone would ever try to brainwash her again. And if they did, she had an amazing group of people who cared about her and would do anything they could to get her back.