Chapter 87: Hasty And Stupid Decisions

Warning: mentions of alcohol abuse

3 years later

''Gosh I haven't seen you do that in years. It gives me huge flashbacks. You still got it.'' Katya had searched the whole Compound for her wife, only to find her in the last place she had expected, on the small dance floor in front of the mirror in the gym.

Natasha hadn't danced in years, decades even. But like Katya, she had picked it back up and understood what she had meant by the action clearing her head. It was relaxing, muscle memory taking over from the start.

She completely ignored how Katya looked her up and down and sat down on the small bench, drinking some water. ''You were such a sucker for me from the second I walked into that worn out dancing room,'' she spoke across the room. Most of the machines stood collecting dust, since the two Russians always used the same things and there were too much for the two of them.

Katya gasped softly, feigning hurt. ''I was not. I'm surprised you could even see me from under all that hair.'' Both of them had a good day today, which was rare.

Natasha started untying her ballet shoes, smirking to herself. The flashbacks from their youth together coming back at once. How that looked like a piece of cake now. ''If I remember correctly, you almost fell on your ass when you saw me.''

''I did not!'' Katya was being confronted with very embarrassing moments and slowly her cheeks turned red. ''Stop that.''

A soft chuckle came from her wife. ''If it makes you feel any better, the same was the case with me.''

''Oh?'' Katya asked interested as she sat down on the bench. ''I haven't heard that story before.'' She hadn't known there was a connection from Natasha's side from the first moment too. 

Natasha lightly glared at the tone in which Katya said that sentence, bend over her shoes. ''That's because I knew you wouldn't let me hear the end of it.''

''True,'' she admitted. She knew as well as Natasha that she would tease her with any embarrassing stories she told. ''Anyways, I made lunch, if you're hungry.''

Natasha raised her eyebrows in surprise. ''And it didn't burn?''

''Ha ha,'' Katya replied sarcastically, narrowing her eyes. ''If I remember correctly, you burned rice once.'' And almost set the kitchen on fire with it. Natasha was the worst cook ever, so most of the time they ordered in. They saw the pizza guy more often than their friends.

''That's because you were distracting me,'' Natasha used as an excuse, grabbing her dancing shoes and water and standing up.

Katya hurried after her, twisting and turning through the empty hallways. ''I was literally reading at the counter. What is sexy about that?''

Natasha shrugged, pushing another door open with her shoulder. ''Everything about you is sexy.''

Once again, Katya started blushing, which only earned more laughter from the woman next to her. ''God, stop it. What has gotten into you today?''

Natasha smirked. ''Steve just texted me and said he'll drop by tonight.''

Katya was really surprised by that. Steve rarely texted them, let alone visit, so it was enough to make both Russians happy that he was coming. Being in the Compound gave him flashbacks he couldn't handle. If they did text or call, it was always light-hearted, avoiding sensitive topics. There was nothing left of the close connection they once had with him. ''Really? That's nice. How long has it been?''