Chapter 93: Vormir

''Five years ago, we lost. All of us.''

Now, Katya was nervous, just like everyone else on the platform. Her suit fit perfectly, hair out of her face, and the plan had been thought through completely, but despite all that, she was tense and on edge. In a couple minutes, the ground underneath her feet would fall away and a tunnel through time and space would open, sucking her in.

She couldn't look at the others, so she stared at the ground instead, Steve's voice filling her ears. On her right side, a prepared and excited Natasha. On her left, Clint, who was ready to do whatever it took to see his family again. After getting a glimpse of it before, he had been eager to go back.

Katya was mostly afraid to lose something. Was that selfish? It probably was. Because despite losing a lot, she still had a lot, right here. So many things could go wrong with the missions and the teams. What if they reversed the Snap but lost something big in return? No, whatever it took. Losses were predictable but not desirable.

''We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves,'' Steve continued, looking around the small circle of friends and allies. ''Today, we have a chance to take it all back.''

Wanda, Sam, Bucky, Wakanda would have its king back.

''You know your teams; you know your missions. Get the Stones, get them back. One round trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs.'' As if anyone needed reminding of that. ''Most of us are going somewhere we know. But it doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. And we're gonna win.'' Tony gave him a proud look. ''Whatever it takes. Good luck.''

Everyone nodded, glancing over the group one last time and taking position along the edge of the platform. Katya had trouble standing still as Tony ordered Bruce, ''All right. You heard the man. Stroke those keys, jolly green.''

''Tractors engaged,'' Banner confirmed. Katya was about to explode from the anxiety when a gloved hand squeezed hers shortly. She didn't have to look to her right to see who it was.

''You promise to bring that back in one piece, right?'' Rocket eyed the miniature version of his ship Clint held in his hand. It had been made tiny by Scott so it could travel through the Quantum realm with them. Only on Morag, Clint, Natasha and Katya would split from Rhodey and Nebula, taking the spaceship and flying to Vormir. 

''Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay. I'll do my best.'' Clint's answer was far from reassuring, but it was all Rocket was going to get. 

''As promises go, that was pretty lame.''

Natasha smirked at the group, but at Steve in particular. ''See you in a minute.''

''You're way too excited,'' Katya breathed, more strained than jokingly. It was also the last thing that was said before everyone disappeared.

The reflectors above their heads danced until they stood in the correct position, the claustrophobic helmets slid on and from thereon out, it was one big trip. Katya had never taken any drugs, but she imagined it would be something like this.

The ground fell away from under her feet until she floated. It was weird because she didn't feel herself get smaller but knew she must be. The Quantum realm was pretty, that was for sure, with bright colored tunnels all connected, her suit following a laid-out path. Essentially, she didn't have to do anything and could close her eyes, but they stayed open and wouldn't close. 

Her heart drummed against her ribcage while she got flung left and right, losing track of the others. Panic rose and threatened to squeeze her throat shut. It shouldn't have taken much longer.