Chapter 27

Chapter 27

This week has been excruciatingly painful. I decided to just go on with my life as usual even if cameras were waiting outside the two buildings I frequent.

Axel offered that I stay at his place while he's away but then we figured the paparazzi will just follow me from work and discover where he lives, which will make the situation worse, and I can't stay at Hailey's for her privacy. So, I really didn't have much choice but to walk with my head down and pretend there aren't cameras following me.

The online world seems to be thriving. I try to keep away from it but sometimes I find myself scrolling around and then be filled with instant regret. With each new picture they can get of me daily, my fashion choices were heavily criticized. Truly, I do not know what they would expect from an Accountant.

It was tough, but with every passing day, they have dwindled out. Maybe it has finally come to their senses that there wasn't any use in following someone as boring as me. I go to work; I go home from work. I kept that daily routine with the hopes that by Friday, no one will be following me. I was wrong.

Come Friday, they have flocked around again, asking if I'm invited, what I'll wear, and if the event signals that our relationship is serious.

You might think that the press is exaggerating this whole thing. I do too. I mean I'm only dating a supermodel slash actor – not convincing enough to plead my case, I know, but it's not like I'm pulling a Grace Kelly or a Meghan Markle, for God's sake. It really wouldn't have been this bad if it weren't for the James' Annual Charity Gala – one of the most sought-after events in New York high society.

"You get an invitation, you are in, you are part of the club," Hailey said.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean I'm actually 'part-of-the-club'. I just got invited because of the scandal, it's not like they have any choice but to invite me to keep up appearances and know who their son is publicly involved with." I rolled my eyes, "As if we were actually dating."

"But Axel didn't tell his parents that."

"He has an issue with his parents, I think? He said he hasn't even seen them for, I don't know, a year?"

"So? You haven't visited your parents in almost a year. I didn't judge you for that."

I puffed, "Okay? But that's different. His parents are both in New York. And besides, I speak with my Mom at least once a week."

"Whatever." I heard a crunch on the other side of the phone.

"Are you eating chips?"

"Nah, nuts."

I almost choked on my own spit, "What?"

"Peanuts, you nasty fool."

I laughed, "Be careful when you talk about peanuts."

"Whatever. So... what are you gonna wear?"

"Oh, Axel sent me a dress," I said dismissively.

"Oh, did he now?"

"Yeah, and please don't make a big fuss out of it."

"I wasn't gonna."

"You know, he didn't even ask for my size but props to him, he got it right."

"Boy's got the eye, I tell you."

"Hailey..."

"What? It's true. You should remember that he is some kind of playboy, alright? He might be cute and rich and all that good stuff, but he's also bad news."