Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"Do you think you could get a plus one for the show?" Hailey asked in a timid voice as we walked towards the grocery store.

"Uh, I don't know... I mean you didn't say anything earlier, I thought you didn't want to go."

She stopped in her tracks and stomped, "Of course I want to go! It's Fashion Week, Lauren!" she pouted, much like a little girl throwing fits.

I smiled at her then shook my head, "Wow, well, I guess you have to pray that I'm not a plus one already. You really should've said something about it earlier."

"I thought you were gonna tell him that you'll only go if I go."

"I didn't know, okay? It didn't occur to me to extend the invite. And weren't you the one who told me not to assume things?"

"Yeah." she murmured.

I nodded.

Hailey exhaled loudly, pressed her palms together in a prayer position then looked up the sky, "Lord, please."

I laughed at her then continued to walk.

"Hey!" she ran after me, heels clicking on the sidewalk cement.

I reached the front of the grocery store, right hand on the cool glass of the door, "Okay, Hailey, I'll be sure to ask him." 

"Thank you," she said breathily.

I opened the door and walked in just in time as someone was just walking out.

Hard muscle crashed on my shoulders and electricity zinged at the center of my foot.

"Ow." I looked down and saw a can of beans on my left, falling from my foot, as the other grocery items fell away.

"Oh my God, Lauren," Hailey placed a protective hand on my back.

I winced in pain but squatted immediately, ignoring the pain that gradually subsides, to help pick up the groceries that fell out of the guy's brown paper bag. 

"I'm so sorry." I apologized to the mop of brown hair who was still picking up his groceries, Hailey helped too.

"Are you alright?" he said as we stood. Whoa, British.

"Uh,  yeah. It's nothing." I blinked at him. A piece of his long brown curly hair fell just under his brown eyes. "I'll just shake it off." I shook my head with a smile.

He chuckled, "Like Taylor Swift, yeah?"

"Yeah..." I nodded. "I'm sorry for your groceries though." I smiled, tight-lipped.

He was silent for a second too long. "So, uh... Have a nice day!" I waved then started walking into the store.

"You too." he smiled then continued his way out. 

Hailey opened her mouth suggestively, "Hot." She nodded, pursing her lips together in a smirk.

"Okay?" I said, bemused.

"Okay? C'mon, Laure, I'm stating facts here. And that accent? Whew!" She swept the back of her hand against her forehead, removing an imaginary sweat.

"What was that?" I laughed. "C'mon, I think I need to ice my foot." I placed an arm over her shoulder and we walked inside.

*       * *

I DMed  Axel on Instagram as soon as I got home. I asked him if I could bring Hailey with me to the show. I was kind of surprised because I didn't expect him to reply immediately but as soon as I've hit send, he replied, "Done ;)"  like he's already expected this. And if not, well he has a lot of nerve to try to pull strings when I know seating charts are already done by this time. Eh, it's his problem now.