Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The rest of the week was madness.

On Tuesday, Axel texted me constantly. Time. After. time.

I replied, "I'm at work. I'm busy. Stop texting me." But he seemed to be so determined about irritating me that he kept on going. When he jumped on the cheesy station, I blocked him.

On Wednesday, Harper called me to her office. With no other avenue of reaching me, he really went out of his way and contacted my boss. She said Axel texted her, asking if I really am at work and why I'm not replying. I simply told her I don't check my phone at work.

On Thursday, a bouquet of flowers was waiting for me when I arrived at my desk. It came with a note: "Since you blocked me, I had to find another way. Looking forward to those dates. ;) -Axel."

My co-workers teased me throughout the day. It got so bad that I unblocked him and texted, "I'm not dead, please don't send me flowers at work. And besides, don't you have anything better to do? If you're worried about the dates, don't worry, I won't bail." then I blocked him again.

On Friday, I arrived to a box of red roses on my doorstep. I sighed and shook my head as I picked it up from the ground. Relentless, that's what he is. A note was placed in between 2 flowers, it said: "Well, you didn't say anything about flowers at home. And no, you're the farthest thing from dead. First date tomorrow. I'll pick you up at 2:00, dress casually."

And now I'm in front of my bathroom mirror, fixing my make-up. I opted for a light gray grid blouse and dark-wash jeans. He said casual, I'll give him casual.

I was putting on my light brown derby shoes when someone knocked on my door three times. I sighed. Oh, good Lord, am I really willingly going out with a child stuck in an adult's body?

I grabbed my mustard duffel coat from the couch and put it on before I walked towards the door.

I was taken aback when I opened it. He's too close. His right hand rested on the door frame supporting the way his body is leaned. He looked like he's posing for an ad.

"Hey." A lopsided smile formed on his face then he tucked his hands inside his coat pockets.

"Oh, no..." I shook my head. He's wearing a button-down mustard shirt and black jeans under a mid-length dark gray wool coat.

"What?" he asked, alarmed.

"We are not matching," I said then closed the door to him.

"But –" I heard him protest as the door closed.

I put the mustard coat back on the rack and looked for my brown suede jacket in the cabinet. I put it on as soon as I found it.

"So, where are we going?" I asked Axel as I opened the door.

"It's a surprise," he replied with a wink.

I narrowed my eyes at him. What is he up to?

"What?" his brows furrowed innocently.

"Nothing," I said as I locked up the apartment. I don't know what he's going to do but based on the way he's acting, he's clearly up to something. I have to keep my guard up, especially now that he made clear he's on a mission of making me fall in love with him. I have to keep in mind that it's all fake. He'll act all nice and chivalrous because of his sick inclination with games. Everything is a ploy, remember that, Lauren.

We walked towards the elevator in silence. When the doors opened, it didn't go unnoticed that we're the only ones in the elevator car. He knew how to pick a lean time for people traffic, I'll give him that. Guess that's on being famous.