Chapter 48

Chapter 48

If I was being honest, the day has already drained me out. So much so that I just want to go home, change into my comfy pj's, lay down on the bed, and just sleep to my heart's content.

But I promised Josh a dinner meeting and it's not like I'd even get bad news from a marriage proposal plan.

This is good, it'll take my mind off my problems and bring in some good vibes.

I felt terrible lying to Hailey about doing overtime at work. But this is for her, I hope she'll understand later.

Immediately after work, I made my way to the restaurant Josh texted me. It's kind of secluded and I haven't been here before, but if Josh recommends it, then it must be something good.

"Hey!" Josh greeted me as I entered the front door.

"Hi, have you been here long?"

"No, I just arrived maybe five minutes ago. Let's sit?"

"Yeah," I followed him as he led us to a table in the middle.

I removed my coat and placed it on the chair as I sat.

"Shall we order?"

"Of course. Do you have any suggestions?"

He shrugged, "My cooking is better."

I laughed. "Of course."

"But their creampuffs are amazing. I mean, I don't tackle much with pastries, so you know."

I chuckled. "Alright, alright. I'll be sure to try those."

A waiter approached us and took our orders.

"So, how was your day?" He asked as we wait.

"Not the best. But let's not talk about that, let's talk about you, your plans. You already thought of something, haven't you?"

"I have, but I need your opinion."

"Okay," I crossed my legs and leaned back on the chair. "Let's hear it."

He leaned closer, elbows resting on the table with his hands clasped together. "So, you know how Hailey and I met, right? Under the tree in front of her grandma's house?"

I smiled, "Yeah, you saved her cat when it climbed up the tree. I remember her not shutting up about it."

"Did she now? About what?"

"Oh, don't tell me you don't know."

"No, I don't. What was it?"

"She didn't tell you?"

He shook his head.

"Well, I can't tell you now. You know, girl code and all."

"Oh, come on, Laure, can't you make an exception? That was ages ago. I'm proposing to her already."

"Nope," I said popping the p.

Josh was a grade higher than us. And Hailey had a big crush on him long before he saved her cat.

She called me right after they officially met, screaming at the top of her lungs. And the rest is history.

His head shook disapprovingly and I caught myself stifling a laugh. "Alright, let's make a deal. I'll tell you the rest of the story after you get married."

"Deal."

"That was fast."

He shook his head while clicking his tongue, "Us getting married isn't conditional, it's a certainty; it isn't a matter of if, it's when. So, I'll just have to wait and it'll happen eventually."