Chapter 49

Chapter 49

"So, are we liquid enough to settle?" Harper asked, one hand on the hip, the other on the end of the board room table.

All eyes shifted to Cassandra.

She flipped through the papers. The air felt thick and we all held our breaths as the tension builds.

She looked up from the papers, "Yes."

The collective sound of our breaths was audible as we all heaved out a sigh.

"But it can potentially drive the company down," Cassandra continued.

Harper massaged her temples, "I knew this was gonna happen."

"According to projections, if we expend that huge of an amount, lump sum, we could go bankrupt in just six months."

"Six months?!" Dave exclaimed.

"That is our last resort, of course. We have to exhaust all other available options to save the company first," Cassandra explained.

Harper nodded. "Alright," her voice clipped. "We'll have to make do with what we have. I'll have to speak with the other partners. In the meantime, I want you to please not let this information out of the room. Understood?"

We all nodded silently.

"Okay, you're dismissed. This day has been enough, you can all go home now."

We picked up all our documents from the table and began dispersing.

"Lauren," Harper called.

"Yes?"

"May I speak with you in my office?"

"Sure," I replied and she went to her office. Dave and I exchanged glances, I just shrugged.

After clearing my papers, I went straight to Harper's office. I knocked on the open door, "You wanted to see me?"

She looked up from her laptop, "Yes. Please," she motioned to a chair "sit."

She closed her laptop as I sat in front of her. "I just wanted to know how it went with Axel."

"I spoke to him."

"Uh-huh?" her chin rested on her knuckles, interested in what I had to say.

"He'll talk to her."

She exhaled loudly, eyes closing in the process. She looks so stressed out and I can't blame her. I've been feeling the same lately. Imagine all your hard work – something that you have put all your effort into, something you have built from the ground up – just be taken away from you as if it was nothing.

"I don't want to say don't worry because I know full well it isn't possible, but I will call Axel later. I'll get updates from him. We'll try to make this work."

Her head raised to meet mine and nodded, "I hope you can both think of a solution of some sort. I hate to admit it, but from where I stand, our case is a little hopeless."

"It's not. Well, I know what you mean, but let's not lose hope just yet."

She let out another sigh and nodded, "Okay, but please let me know if you hear anything."

"I will."

Here I am thinking about myself and the career I'm trying to build, while Harper has to think of everything.

Whenever I look at her, I could see just how heavy the weight she has to carry on her shoulders. Her decisions not only affect her, but the whole company and everyone involved - the employees, clients, creditors, and other stakeholders. She has to think of everything, not just herself. And on top of that, she has to keep a cool and calm demeanor so that she wouldn't shake everyone up - that has got to be the hardest part of all.