Chapter 39

Chapter 39

A million thoughts ran through my head as the water ran through me.

"Grant, hurry up, your phone is ringing!" Axel knocked on the door.

"Click on I can't talk right now. I'll be right out."

He didn't say anything more so I guess that problem is gone.

I shut the faucet close and stepped out of the shower. Put on the robe hanging next to it and grabbed a towel from the counter to wipe the steam off the mirror.

I stared at the woman looking back at me. How did she become so reckless, so spontaneous?

What happened to her? I can't even recognize her anymore.

I turned to look away, just to distract myself before I begin to question my entire existence.

I focused on my surroundings, and soon enough, distract myself I did.

This bathroom is bigger than my apartment's bathroom and it's just inside a jet!

Everything is sleek and well-lit. Vanity bulbs were attached to the mirror and there were gold trimmings on the sink.

Just how much fancier can he get?

"Grant!" his knuckles came in contact with the door in a single knock.

"Alright, alright! Just a minute." I grabbed my toiletries bag and brushed my teeth.

After a few minutes, I came out of the bathroom, all dressed and coiffed.

Well, my hair's not really coiffed, but you know what I mean.

"Took you long enough," he handed my phone.

I rolled my eyes at the impatient motherfucker and snatched my phone.

"Who's Charlie?" he demanded.

My gaze lifted from the phone to him. Is he seriously getting jealous now?

I just groaned and grabbed my stuff and went to the exit.

"Hey," he followed me.

"How do you open this?"

"I was asking you a question."

"It's none of your business."

I saw the small writing that says 'open' with a curved arrow going up.

I lifted the lever all the way up, pushed it a little, and the stairs cascaded down the floor.

"Wait," he said panicked.

I ignored him and went down the stairs.

I'm halfway to the entrance, expecting his annoying ass to follow me, but nothing.

Good.

As I reached the hallway, I saw my cousin sitting on a bench. Her foot tapped sporadically on the floor; hands clasped together.

Her gaze went my direction and delight sprouted in her eyes.

"Lauren!" she stood and came running to me, arms wide open.

"Oof, Charlie!" I grunted as she smashed onto me.

She held me at an arms-length, "Oh, wow, look at how much you've grown." She gasped, "You're even taller than me now!"

I chuckled. "How's everybody?" I shook my head, "How are you? How're the kids? I've missed you so much, Charles, we have a lot to catch up on."

"Everything's good. Same old, same old, but kind of not? You know."