Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The dinner with Hailey and Josh last Saturday went well. We got a little adventurous and walked around Times Square to look for a place to eat. I was surprised to see a Jollibee at Times Square that we ended up eating there.

It's a Filipino fast food and when I was 16, our family went on a vacation to the Philippines to visit some family. That was the last time I ate at Jollibee. So, trying it again, 10 years later, was kind of nostalgic. The customer service is great and the staff were friendly, I really felt like I was in the Philippines again.

Josh loved the Chicken Joy and Hailey enjoyed their version of Spaghetti. I think their Peach Mango Pie is fairly new because I don't remember trying that before but I loved it. Just makes me proud that I'm part Filipino.

After dinner, we dropped by a few stores, and shopped then took the Subway ride home.

I wish I could go back to that evening where I don't have to worry about an interview.

I don't know if it's just me but no matter how many times I go through an interview, I can't seem to shake my nerves off.

I stand in front of the building where MGC Models is situated. I took a deep breath before entering the building. I showed my identification to the guard and told him I'm here for MGC Models and that I have an interview.

Like all things New York City, there was a line for the elevator. I got on the line and noticed that everyone here is very well dressed. I suddenly felt conscious of my outfit. I decided to wear business casual. I went with a simple white shirt tucked underneath my black high-waisted slacks. I wore a burgundy blazer for a pop of color then paired it with the classic black stilettos.

When I reached the 4th floor, I walked over to the receptionist.

"Hi, good morning." I started.

"Hi, Welcome to MGC Models. Good morning. I'm Sharon." she had a big smile plastered on her face then continued, "I'm sorry but you should know we don't accept walk-in applicants." she said.

"Oh, no. I'm not a walk-in applicant. I have an appointment. Grant? Lauren Grant?"

Her eyebrows knit together, "Huh, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen your profile for today's appointments but okay, I'll check." then she went typing away on the computer.

"I'm sorry, can you please state your name again?"

"Uh, yeah, it's Lauren Grant. That's L-A-U-R-E-N." I replied then she typed again.

She shook her head, "You're not listed."

"Well, there must be some sort of error? Can you please check again? They're expecting me to be here before 10:00."

"I'm sorry Miss, but you're really not in today's list of model applicants."

"Oh!" I raised my brows and a grin began to form on my face. "I'm not." I snorted slightly. It's flattering how she thought I'd try to model. "I'm not trying to be scouted as a model. I'm here for the Accounting position?"

"Oh, back office! You should've led with that," she said with a smile then began typing again.

"Yes, you're on this list. Please proceed to the, uh, 3rd room on my left. There's the Human Resources Department."

"Thanks, Sharon," I said with a smile. She smiled back then I proceeded to walk down the hallway.

The doors in this office were all glass. Their theme is clean and minimalist – with all-white walls and black and wood accents. And with all the glass walls, there's a lot of natural light coming in – it's like some of the outdoors are inside; all very light and airy. I like the atmosphere of the environment so far.