Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The distinct sound of clinking glasses welcomed us as we entered the reception area again.

A girl in a flowy emerald green silk dress made her way towards us, "Oh, so this is the infamous Lauren Grant."

Axel cleared his throat, "Katie." He nodded.

Oh, so she's Katie Swanson.

"Lauren, this is Katie Swanson. Katie, Lauren."

"Hi," I held out my hand to shake but she just looked at my hand then back up to meet my eyes and smiled sweetly as she raised her brows in acknowledgment. A piece of her ash brown hair falling on the side of her face. I felt the corners of my lips turn upwards, hiding the embarrassment away and letting my hand go.

"Would you mind if I borrow your date for a second? It's just that the project is kind of confidential."

"Oh, not at all." I looked at Axel and he nodded to signify that it's okay. "Hm," I forced a smile. "I'll just be by the bar. I need to get a drink anyway."

She grinned as if I'm a dog that needs to be shooed away then snaked her hand around Axel's arm, leading him down the hall.

What just happened?

The chatter became louder and I found myself alone in a sea of people, backed-up on a column fancier than any pillar I've ever seen. Girls in ball gowns and boys in their finest tuxedos dancing in the middle of the ballroom. Servers going around with their full plates of champagne. Middle-aged women almost toppling over in their laughter while their husbands were clustered around, talking about their businesses and accomplishments in the past year.

I had a whiff of some of their conversations, all different but all sums up to who has the bigger dick – the thicker wallet, the larger mansion, the fancier boathouse. And that's when I knew. I don't belong here.

If these are the guests, what more of the hosts? I walked towards the bar. I need something stronger if I need to face Axel's parents.

Open bars have always been famous at parties and this was no exception. Where there's booze, there are people. And I had to wait if I wanted to be served.

"One Gin and tonic, please," I said to the bartender.

"Coming up." He replied.

"Did you see Axel with his 'date'?" I heard someone on my right say.

"Yeah. I saw them going to the garden earlier."

She scoffed, "I know, right? So cheap. I bet they did it outside."

The other giggled, "From the moment I saw her, I knew. Just another social-climbing whore. She doesn't even look that pretty."

"So true. Very underwhelming. I think that's why Axel hid her from the paparazzi."

"Oh my God, stop," she laughed. "But I agree. I mean who would want to be seen with someone like her? I refuse to believe that Axel picked her over Katie."

"He must be blind or something."

The other nodded and they clinked their glasses, champagne spilling over the brim.

"Here you go." The bartender gave me my drink.

"Thanks," I said. The two girls turned at the sound of my voice and turned paler than dough.

I gave them my best smile and raised my glass for a toast. Their faces sunken in guilt. Or shame of being caught? I don't know but the latter one seems more feasible.