Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Philippine Fashion Week, as I figured, is very different from New York Fashion Week.

People surrounding the area weren't all fashion-forward unlike in New York. This was all about showcasing the designers' talents: more like an exhibit of clothes.

Backstage was a nightmare and there weren't enough stylists to help with the clothes. So, for every time one of my models has a show, I had to help them dress.

Never in my wildest dreams had I thought I'd be in a room full of men dressing and undressing.

Gale and Theo were in the first show. It was hectic but manageable and I thought I'd get the hang of it, but when the time came for the second show, it was chaos.

You thought you knew hectic? Well, you've never been backstage at a show for fashion week.

If this experience ever taught me something, it was that this industry should not be taken lightly. My respect for assistants is now through the roof.

"Lauren, a little help please!" Chris called as I was lacing Peyton's shoe as the make-up team worked on him.

I turned my head to where the voice was and found Chris on one corner, struggling to get his tie right.

I pulled the strings to make a knot on Peyton's shoe and rushed to Chris.

"Here," I said, undoing his messed-up tie and adjusted it to proper length.

"How did you know how to do this?" He asked looking down at me. I bet he can see the top of my head.

"Well, my dad never knew how to. My mom always does his tie."

He chuckled, "Oh, same with mine."

"And one day, my mom was still at work and my dad planned a surprise anniversary dinner for her."

"Awe, that's so sweet."

I laughed, remembering how that day went. "Yeah, it was. And so, I had to look up how to tie a tie so my dad would look nice."

I finished off his tie and patted it down. "There," I swiped his collar, "that's how you tie a tie."

He smiled, "Thanks, Lauren."

"Yeah, well, you have to practice doing it on your own some time."

He chuckled, "Well, not knowing how to do it gets me to ask pretty girls for help."

I laughed forcefully.

He shrugged, "It has to be genuine; I don't want to pretend. I'm bad at lying, you know. So bad, I just don't do it."

I let out a real chuckle this time.

"So, yeah... Maybe next time, but I don't see myself doing it soon."

"Alright, Chris, I like your honesty."

He raised his head proudly, "I pride myself on my candor," his lips formed a boyish grin.

"Lauren?" A stern voice called out. Cold and icy. Unmistakably Axel James.

My eyes closed as I took deep breaths and forced a smile, "Duty calls."

"Thanks again, Lauren."

"No problem," I replied and made my way just three meters behind Chris.

"What do you need?"

"Dress me."

"You're already dressed."

"Yeah, but this isn't the collection." He pointed northeast where the racks of clothes were. "That is the collection."