Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"What were you thinking?" Mitchell scolded.

I lowered my head.

"What's happening here?" Harper walked towards us with her arms crossed to her chest.

Mitchell pursed his lips and pointed at me, "Lauren, here, decided to scream that Axel James is staying in this hotel."

"What?" she chuckled.

"It's not funny, Harper."

"Well, it's Lauren and Axel!" she said as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Mitchell cocked his head with one brow raised.

"Oh, don't worry about them. I'm sure it's nothing." She sat on one of the lounge chairs.

"Nothing?" Mitchell followed her. "It's not nothing, Harper. There are fans outside."

As if on cue, the sound waves of screaming fans made their way to the pool area.

I looked away.

I didn't mean it to get that bad.

"Now how are we supposed to get him to his show tomorrow without fan interference?"

"Well..." Harper glanced at me.

"What?" I asked, clueless.

"How did you two go out before?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you already went on, what, three dates?"

"Three dates?" Mitchell scrunched his forehead.

Harper squinted at him, "Axel and Lauren are dating, Mitchell. Keep up."

"What?!"

"Yeah... about that..." I started.

"How did I not know about this?" he picked up a chair from the bar and sat next to Harper.

"Well..."

"Tell me everything."

What? I can't.

"Okay, so you know that tradition I have for new folks in Accounting?" Harper said enthusiastically.

Oh, thank God. I thought they'd drill me.

"Yeah?"

"Axel was the one who entered the room."

His brows raised, "Interesting."

"Right?!"

"Okay, go on."

And they talked about Axel and me as if I wasn't even there.

Mitchell was invested and Harper was positively gushing about how she helped Axel surprise me. She was talking about the time she took me to The Met Cloisters and how it was so sweet to have a date at the museum.

If only she knew.

Their conversation went on. And a little while after that, she started blabbering about the paparazzi situation outside the office.

From that moment, I knew they were gonna talk about the Charity Gala next.

I panicked, not wanting to be asked how everything was, and spoke, "So, what are we gonna do?"

They glanced in my direction as if surprised I was there.

"Oh... Yeah, um..." Harper clicked her tongue then turned to Mitchell. "Mitchell?"