Chapter 56

Chapter 56

The bones and muscles of my right hand curled into a fist crumpling the godforsaken letter.

Meet at Rockefeller Center? You wish. Wait there like a statue, I'll come to you when hell freezes over.

"Lauren?" Hailey's voice was soon followed by a few knocks. I stuffed the letter under the cushion in panic.

"Coming," I stood from the couch and opened the door. "Hey, you're early."

"I take it Axel isn't here yet?"

"No, you said 7:30, it's just 7:00. Josh isn't with you?"

"He'll come later with the food. I told you we'll bring the food."

"Yeah, well, I don't think I have anything useful in the fridge. And at short notice anyway." We went to the kitchen and I took out two glasses. "You want wine?"

"Always."

I took out the red from the fridge and poured it into our glasses. "So, why did you want to meet for dinner?"

"Is it so bad that I want to have dinner with you? Besides, when was the last time we did this?"

"Uh, let me think... Never?"

"All the more reason to start."

"Come on, Hailey, you're not fooling me here."

"Fine," she scooched and made herself comfortable on the metal stool. "What's wrong if I want to get to know my best friend's new beau?"

"Nothing... I guess." I pushed the filled wine glass towards her. "But don't grill him."

"Of course," she tipped her glass to her lips obviously avoiding eye contact.

Jeez, my acting skills would be tested with this dinner tonight.

"I don't know if that's a yes or a no on the grilling. Look, Hailey, I know what he's done and I know you don't approve of him but I truly believe he's changed."

"Lauren, I just want the best for you. I don't want you to get hurt again. We both know you've been through it several times."

"Uh-huh," My brain wandered to Clark's letter. "I guess I'm just the type of person who men like to toy around."

"Don't say that."

"I know. But sometimes I just can't help but think."

She placed her glass on the counter then held my hands. "You deserve the world, Lauren Grant."

"Oh, don't get sappy."

"I'm serious. You deserve everything that's good because you are kind and helpful and honest."

The pent-up guilt of omitting the reason I left Steinhouse and worse, pretending and lying about my relationship with Axel just seems too much right now and I don't know what I'd do if all of it spills out the edges and drown me.

"And even if you aren't those things, I will always love you and you will always have me."

I can't help but tear up at her sentiment, "I'm not any of those things, Hales."

"Oh, honey, don't cry," she pulled me in for a hug, "It's okay. I got you."

Knocks on the door caught our attention. "Babe?"

"There's your knight in shining armor."

I sniffed and wiped my tears. "Oh, please," I rolled my eyes and she laughed as I went to open the door.