Epilogue

Epilogue

18 months later

The smell of freshly-cut grass and perfectly-arranged flowers permeated the air, with leaves and petals dewy from the cold of the night. It was still dark out, a few minutes before the break of dawn, and the sun will rise just in time for the ceremony.

"Oh my God, Laurie. You look so beautiful," my mom gushed.

I smiled, "Thanks, Mom." She kissed my cheek and Noelle approached us with unmatched excitement.

"It's time." Her voice rose an octave, grinning as she rushed to her place, taking small steps in her kitten heels.

Strings rang and vibrated as the quartet started playing Canon in D, signifying the start of the processional.

The entourage made their entrance along the arch of roses as I patiently wait for my turn and looked down at the bouquet I carried: pale pink peonies and carnations with a few baby's-breath sticking out. The line in front of me got shorter and shorter until it was my time to go. I took a deep breath before holding my head high and taking careful steps down the aisle, my eyes squaring in on the target – in front of the altar.

Axel turned, looking undeniably dapper in his well-tailored suit. His lips curved into a smile as soon as his eyes landed on me. I can't help but smile back, feeling all giddy inside. It was like a boost of caffeine in this early morning affair. If I was half asleep before, I am wide awake now. It's both baffling and incredible how a person can hold such an effect on you; how one smile can brighten your day in an instant.

As I reached the altar, he whispered, "You look amazing."

"As are you," my lips fell into an easy smile then I settled on my place.

The quartet smoothly transitioned to the tune of Runaway by The Corrs as Hailey made her entrance. Josh's breath audibly hitched at the sight of her as he stood beside Axel. They've become so close in the past year that Josh made Axel his best man and Oliver one of his groomsmen.

Hailey walked down the aisle looking absolutely radiant – like a goddess who came down to earth in her flowy off-shoulder wedding gown. Her hair was pinned back with a few loose strands framing her face, and her lips were painted with the most flattering shade of pink. She's got one hand on her bouquet and the other wrapped around Grandpa Frank's arm.

Josh can barely hold it all inside and when I saw the tears brimming in his eyes, I whisper-shout, "Hey, do not cry!" and Axel nudged him by the elbow. Our efforts distracted him well enough that he just chuckled and nodded.

Hailey made it a point that I make sure that Josh wouldn't cry during the processional. She read this weird post online that marriages with men who cried as their bride walked down the aisle ended up in divorce – usually by cheating. I said it was ridiculous but she just shrugged and said, "Why risk it?".

The sun was beginning to rise as Grandpa Frank gave Hailey away and the ceremony started. Josh and Hailey were so lost in each other that I doubt they'd even listened to a word the Officiant said.

As the ceremony went on, I took the opportunity to take everything in and wished my mind could record this moment in perfect detail: how the water slushed in the lake behind the altar, how the birds sang from a distance, how Hailey's long veil fell down her dress like a waterfall, and how everyone in the audience smiled in content as they witness two people cement their love in matrimony. My eyes then trailed to the three empty seats in the front row – one for Grandma Fely and two for Hailey's parents. I bet they're all looking down and smiling at her.

The garden was perfectly landscaped for the wedding. It was like paradise and Noelle did an outstanding job finding it. She had her team help us this time around. I'd probably be in hospice right now if she had us do it ourselves again, like that time we arranged the proposal venue.