Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Axel? What are you doing here? It's midnight." 

"I  was looking for you after the show but I saw Harper instead. She said the two of you met before the show started and that you might've already gone home..." he explained rather slowly, tone implying disbelief. Maybe he had to hear it out loud to finally realize how weird it is for him to show up at my doorstep late at night.

"That doesn't exactly explain why you're here."

He raised the plastic bag from his right hand, "I bought ice cream!" his smile unsure but hopeful.

I  stood there for a while, contemplating all of this – why would he be here, ice cream in hand, purposefully wanting to spend time with me?

"C'mon, the ice cream's melting," he smiled awkwardly. "You gonna let me in, by any chance?"

I  exhaled a breath, "Axel, I –" I started but the next door's doorknob creaked, signifying an exit. Before I knew it, I was grabbing Axel by his arm, shoving him inside my apartment, just in time before my neighbor got out.

"Whoa, tiger," Axel said as I shut the door, leaning on it.

"I'm sorry. My neighbor..." my eyes narrowed at him standing there with a  goofy grin plastered on. He's enjoying this! "Are you out of your mind  or did you just want to get into trouble?"

"What?" his voice defensive. "The only trouble I want to get into is you."

"Gross."  I quickly remarked. "My neighbors might see you, have you thought of that? Are you sure no one saw you get in the building?"

"I'm certain." he said then smirked, "And I'm kind of liking this thing we have going on here."

"What thing? We don't have a thing." I shook my head as I walked towards the couch in the living room.

He followed me, "Like how I'm kind of your dirty little secret, looking for places to rendezvous."

I snorted, "Get off your lovesick wagon, James! You are not my 'dirty-little-secret' and we most definitely do not rendezvous, you just always show up at my apartment unannounced." I slumped on the couch then pressed play on Little Women.

"Whatever  you say." He sat on the couch next to me, rummaging over the plastic bag to take out the ice cream. "We need spoons for this."

"You've been to my kitchen before, go get it."

"But I already brought ice cream." he murmured like a child.

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing. I said I'll get it."

I  tried my best not to laugh but the feeling of victory is hard to cover-up, I snorted a small laugh when he disappeared into the kitchen.

My forehead creased at the realization of how easily we fall into this kindergarten rhythm – one minute, we argue and fight like cats and dogs,  the next it's like nothing happened. 

Is it actually possible we're sort of becoming a non-traditional, dysfunctional type of friends? 

Nah, I think enemies are like that too.

"Okay, 2 spoons," he announced holding up a spoon on each hand.

"So, what flavor did you get?" I said, sitting with my legs crossed.

"Chocolate chip. To celebrate the end of fashion week." pride evident on his face.

I smiled at him, "I almost forgot to thank you for the seats. Congratulations, by the way."