Chapter 60

Chapter 60

"Noelle!" I ran to her. An audible thud emanated from our clashing bodies as we fell into a hug.

"Aw, I missed you, bud!" She ruffled my hair as she beamed her wide eyes and big smile. Axel came into view, rolling his suitcase, "And who might this be?" Her brows wiggled teasingly.

"Hi," he approached her with a smile. "You must be Noelle. I've heard lots of things about you."

"Oh, really?" she raised a brow at me.

"Hey," I defended. "It was all good things."

"Mm-hm, I hope so. Or else, go find a taxi to take you home."

"Ugh, alright. Axel, let's walk." I began to walk away from her then went back immediately, "I'm just kidding. Come on! Is there anything bad I can say about you? You're my favorite sister."

"I'm your only sister."

"Oh, really? I didn't realize."

She rolled her eyes and then grabbed my suitcase as she has always done whenever we were traveling, "Where's Hailey anyway? I thought you were coming in from the same flight."

"We all were, but Josh was going to take her somewhere. Part of the proposal plan, I think."

"Yeah," Axel snorted. "We had to make up an excuse to be away from them."

"And what excuse did you make?"

"Oh, you don't want to know," Axel commented behind me.

I turned and gave him a questioning look. He shrugged.

Noelle's mouth parted and I can practically see the wheels turning inside her head. She glanced at my horrified expression then she pursed her lips nodding slowly.

"Oh, no, it's not what you think-"

She held a hand out stopping me, "It's alright. I knew you were doing it; I mean you're a grown-ass woman, I just... I don't think I need to-"

"Stop. Please?"

She blinked rapidly, "Yeah, yeah, of course."

"It's not that-"

"I get it. Let's drop it, please? I want peace of mind." She inhaled deeply and pulled her hand down near her face as if she was changing a mask trying to be zen. "Innocence is bliss."

I rolled my eyes, "God, you're so dramatic, Noelle. Let's go home."

She tied her arm with mine. "You missed me."

"Who said that? Stop assuming."

She laughed, "Always sarcastic."

"That's our Lauren," Axel commented.

I turned and gave him the death glare. His smile faded, replaced by an apologetic shrug.

*       *       *

As soon as we got to Noelle's house, my niece came running, "Auntie Lauren, Auntie Lauren!"

I dropped to my knees and welcomed her hug. "Oh," we almost fell from the impact. "I missed you, buddy. You've grown so much."

"Look," she raised her hand too close to my eyes. "My first tooth came out."

I guided her arm a little farther so I could see it better, "Oh, wow, can I see your teeth?"

She smiled as wide as she can.

"My, my, my, it's the front tooth!"

"Yes, and I can move my tongue past it, see," she moved her tongue back and forth in the space where the tooth has been.