Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I  have to admit it was such a relief that tickets were available even though we only walked in. It would've been such a shame to travel this far only to be denied of entrance.

There were several vegetables on repurposed wooden pallets near the gates –  mostly pumpkin in different sizes with colors varying from dark green to the brightest orange.

From a distance, I can see that there were a pretty good number of people inside the farm. Most were middle-aged couples with little kids and babies. I think it's good that there were no young adults on sight.  Well, except for the woman at the ticket booth. It was kind of peculiar,  if I say so myself, that she didn't seem to recognize Axel because she looks younger than us – around the age of Axel's fanbase. But I guess we're just lucky enough that she didn't recognize him because the last thing I want is for people to put me in the spotlight for being with Axel; I might not say it often but I actually like my normal life.

She taught us how to properly turn an apple when picking. Apparently, it's to protect and preserve the trees' health so it can keep on bearing. She even demonstrated on an already-picked apple how to handle it then twist to the left. And actually, had us recite "Twist to the left, never pull off branches and leaves"  three times before letting us in – pretty annoying if you ask me. Like yeah, I know you're just doing your job but I get it, I'm not stupid.

We were told that the apples near the entrance weren't ripe yet and that we had to get on a hayride to get to the main apple picking area so we decided to check out the barn first for their little petting zoo.

Axel continued on taking his shots as we go; he took a photo of a little bit of everything we see – the rustic doorknob of the faded blue door, the stack of hays, the skies, the tickets on our wrists, the sunflowers... Name it, he might have already taken a picture of it. Too much for his so-called "evidence", if you ask me.

When we got to the big red barn, Axel lowered his camera and put on his sunglasses.

"Wow, just when we're in the shade," I said sarcastically.

He shook his head, "We're no longer on the open field. People are now in closer proximity and I don't want them to recognize me and ruin our date." he explained.

"Okay," I said then proceeded to go near a pony. 

He jogged after me. "That's it?" he asked.

"That's what?"

"You're just letting me off the hook like that?"

"Like what?" I squatted to meet the pony's height and pet its mane.

"Okay?"

I stopped petting the pony and stood to face him. "Yeah, well, I don't want them to see you either." His brows raised then he smirked. "What? Stop looking at me like that." I swatted his chest lightly. "I just don't want them flocking around me, asking me to take a picture of them with you," I added. He just smiled at me. I shook my head, "You're impossible." I said then went back on petting the pony.

The ponies and some horses are inside the barn. The doors are open at both ends and the other end leads to farm animals in fences.

Axel squatted next to me. "Hey, cutie," he said as he petted the pony.

I  looked at him, he looked like a little boy intently giving the pony all his attention. I can't help but smile then looked back at the pony and continued to pet its mane.

*       *      *

After we're done with the petting zoo, we walked back near the entrance where the refreshments stood. We got sparkling apple ciders.