Chapter 51

Chapter 51

"Hey, Noelle," I greeted as soon as she picked up the phone.

"Sup, Laure? Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, of course." Big lie. "I just want to ask if you're back in the game?"

"Xan, be careful!" she yelled at a distance. "Sorry about that, she's reaching for a book on the shelf."

"I didn't know she could read already."

"No, she's just looking at the pictures. What was your question again?"

"If you're back in the events business."

"Oh, that. Yeah, I've started accepting bookings last month. Nothing's near to date though."

"Oh, great."

"Why? Do you need me to plan something?"

"Yeah."

"Ooooh, interesting. What is it?"

"An engagement."

She coughed as if she choked on something.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she coughed. "Yeah, I'm good. I'm just surprised." She exhaled, short of breath, "Do Mom and Dad know about this?"

"No. But before your brain goes haywire, let me clarify that it is not my engagement. Actually, scratch that, we're still planning for the proposal."

"Oh my God. Is it Axel?"

"No!"

"Then who is it?"

"Hailey's."

"Oh my God! I called it."

"What?"

"I called it. I called it. I called it! You're in a relationship with Hailey. I told Mom that you two were too close to be just best friends. I called it."

"What?!" I exclaimed. "Why does everyone think I'm a lesbian? I just told you the party isn't for me. It's for Hailey! Josh is proposing to her."

"Oh."

"Why would you think I have any interest in girls? I had boyfriends."

"Who am I to assume you're straight?"

"My sister?!"

"Well, whatever."

"Eh? You know what, never mind. I just need to know if you can commit to that, I need to tell Josh."

"Of course, of course! Anything for Hailey."

"Okay, good."

"Well, when is it?"

"On thanksgiving."

"That soon?"

"Yeah. I'll send you all the details that Josh and I have talked about. Don't call Josh for questions though, call me. We can't have Hailey suspect anything."

"Okay, understood. I'll wait for the file."

"Alright, I'll send it later."

"Uh-huh. I'll just call the sitters for a while to check their schedules too."

"Okay then. Talk soon."

"Bye."

Before I get to say bye, she already dropped the call. Classic.

I sat by the window and looked at the life happening outside these walls. Birds flew by, leaves swayed with the wind, people walked on the sidewalk, and cars honked from a distance.