Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Axel James?" Harper said. "What a wonderful surprise!" she stood and gave Axel a hug.

What the hell is going on?

"Just give me a minute to wrap up my meeting. Go, wait in my office." she gestured towards her office.

Axel was all smiles. He said "Hi" to us as he walked. He met my eyes and his mouth opened in shock but continued to walk towards Harper's office.

I gulped, knowing how doomed I am. I instantly remembered our last encounter, how I told him I don't want to see him anymore.

"So, I guess that's it for today. You may go and carry on with your work. Have a nice day, you guys." Harper said.

We all stood and carried our chairs with us. I also took Harper's chair to put it back in place.

"Oh, Lauren, uh..." she nodded at me, telling I come to her.

She grinned at me teasingly as I reach her. "You know what this means, right?"

"I'm afraid so," I replied.

"Oh, come on! I clearly didn't think that a model will walk into this department but fate, huh?" she wiggled her brows as she whispered.

She continued to her office while I put the chairs back in place.

I massaged my temples as I follow her to her office. I stop by the door as Harper's sitting on her chair.

"Sit, Lauren." she gestured towards the chair in front of Axel.

I closed my eyes before sitting. I glanced at Axel and noticed he's staring at me. I shifted uncomfortably on my seat.

"Axel, before we start, I'm sure Lauren has something to say to you. Lauren?" Harper nodded at me encouragingly.

Axel cocked an eyebrow, "Is that so?" he settled into a more comfortable position on his seat then murmured, "This should be interesting."

I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out. My eyebrows knit together in frustration. I looked at him again with that smug look on his face. I suddenly remember the TV Gossip about him and some model from L.A. What was her name? Samara?

I prayed to God that the next person who'll come in will be someone who has a girlfriend. I didn't think it would be Axel but at least I don't get to go and suffer 5 dates.

I inhaled deeply and smiled at him with my new-found confidence. I must be out of my mind. This is the last person I'd ever want to go out on a date with.

"Axel..." I started.

"Yes?"

"How would you feel about going on a 20-minute coffee date with me?"

His eyebrows knitted together in confusion, "Is this some game?"

"Wait a second." Harper interjected then looked at me incredulously, "Why a 20-minute date?"

"Oh, didn't Axel tell you? He has a girlfriend."

"You are not otherwise involved, Axel, are you?" Harper said.

Axel looked at me with his scrunched forehead. "I'm sorry, Harper. Can I be excused for a moment with Lauren here?"

Axel's left hand closed on my right wrist before Harper got to answer. "Uh, sure?" Harper said, confused.

Before I knew it, we were out of her office and he's leading me outside the department.

I felt everybody's eyes on us. Great, way to make an impression on my new workmates.

"Let go of me." I shoved my arm out of his shackles as soon as we're out the door. I hate being manhandled.

"What's that all about?" I scowled.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"What am I doing here? I work here. What are you doing here?"

"Well..." he raised his left brow as if thinking. "I work here too. Kind of." he smirked at me, "I'm the newest face of MGC Models."

"What? That's impossible. I just saw you on TV with... what's her name?" I shook my head, "in front of a modeling agency in L.A. if I remember correctly."

"You mean Samantha?"

"Yeah, that." I nodded as I cross my arms.

"Wait." he placed his right thumb on his lips then there was a glint in his eyes. "You were watching me on TV?" He smiled at me teasingly, "Are you stalking me, Ms. Grant?"

"What?" I said sounding almost too defensive. "That's preposterous! Why would I intentionally watch you on TV? It just happened that your face was flashing on my screen when I turned it on. And I turned it off almost immediately, in my defense."

He smirked at me, "Whatever you say, Lauren."

The door opened from the inside and Harper came out. "Is everything alright?" she looked at the both of us with concern.

"Uh, yes, of course," I said.

I doubt she believed me. Why would her model simply whisk someone he just met 5 minutes ago?

"So, are you really dating someone right now, Axel?" Harper said with worry etched on her face.

"Uh, no!" he said shaking his head.

"What?" I interjected.

"I'm not dating anyone right now."

"Well, then that's great!" Harper said.

"But what about Samantha?" I asked.

"Samantha was my workmate. She wished me luck when I left Ferguson Models."

"That means 5 dates!" Harper said as she clasped her hands together enthusiastically.

I closed my eyes. This isn't how I pictured my first date of work. At all.

"Can somebody please enlighten me on what's happening right here?" The dumb boy finally asked. What? It took him a whole 'nother conversation before bringing up the peculiarity of me asking him out?

"It's a dare." I murmured drearily.

"A what?"

"A dare," I said more clearly.

Axel's eyebrows raised questioningly.

"It's a dare," Harper confirmed. "I dared her to ask the next guy who'll walk inside our department. If the guy has a girlfriend, she has to go on a 20-minute coffee date but if the guy is single, she has to go on 5 dates with him. That is if the guy is willing to."

"Oh." Axel nodded. "I see."

I forgot all about the last part where the guy has to be willing.

"Yes! If he is willing to. And I'm sure Axel here is very busy. He can't possibly go on dates with me." I said to Harper as I patted Axel's right arm.

"Right, Axel?" I glared at him to say no, squeezing his right arm tighter before letting go. A fake smile plastered on my face.

He cocked an eyebrow and smirked at me. "No, actually I think I have plenty of time."

The smile on my face vanished. What game is he trying to play?

He looked at Harper, "Sure, I'm very much willing to go on 5 dates with Lauren."

"Excellent!" Harper said.

But...

"On one condition though, I'll plan all the dates." he smiled at Harper.

Good God, I'm fucked.