Chapter 59

Chapter 59

"Hey," Dave whispered next to me.

"What?" my focus is still on the screen as I work on my billings.

"Isn't that your boyfriend?"

"What? I don't -" my voice faltered when I turned and saw Axel striding down the hall with a one-track mind on Harper's office. He knocked as he reached the glass door. Harper rose from her seat in delight and they exchanged pleasantries. "What is he doing?"

"I was about to ask the same thing." Our eyes were glued to Harper's office, mouths parting in wonderment.

I craned my neck to see what was happening. Dave did the same.

Cassandra walked by us to pick up a document that was freshly out of the printer, "What are you guys looking at?" She followed our gaze, "Oh."

Harper's fingers touched her lips as she nodded, intently listening to what Axel was saying. His hands were all over the place trying to explain something.

"Do you know how to lip-read?" I asked.

"Never really tested but I'll try," he cleared his throat and focused. "My... dog... is outside."

"Huh? Does he have a dog, Lauren?" Cassandra said.

"Not that I know of."

"Shush, I'm trying to focus." He looked back to Harper's office, "I'm trying..."

"Uh-huh?" I encouraged.

He squinted then confusion spread across his face, "Not to shit my pants?"

"Okay," I slumped back on my seat, "You're useless."

"Hey, at least I'm trying. Unlike others," he gave Cassandra the side-eye.

"Oh, wow, don't look at me. Look at Lauren, she's the girlfriend." She turned to me, "How did you two even get together anyway? I mean we all know what happened in Manila. You two were fighting like cats and dogs."

"Yeah," Dave nodded. "And I almost got attacked by girls."

"Wasn't that one of your wildest dreams?" Cassandra said.

My mouth parted in an attempt to say something but Axel stood and caught my attention as he shook Harper's hand. He walked out of her office and went over to our cubicles, his forearms resting on top of the partition. "Hey, guys, can I borrow Lauren for a second?"

I glanced at Dave and Cassandra and she said, "She's all yours."

I gave her a look, "Seriously?"

She shrugged, a teasing smile appearing on her face. Dave's shoulders shake as he covered his mouth, trying not to burst into laughter.

I walked over to him, hands in my pockets, "Hey, what's up?"

"Can we talk in private?"

I scratched the back of my head, "It isn't my break yet."

"Don't worry, I asked for Harper's permission."

I glanced at her office and she gave me the thumbs up. "Alright then."

We walked to the elevators and he pressed on RD. As soon as the elevator closed, I spoke, "You're scaring me. What's happening? What are you doing here?"

He exhaled loudly, "I told Harper everything."

"Define everything."

"Well, everything she needs to know."